Pulled latisumus Muscle in Pitcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
Ontario, Canada
DD has a pulled latisimus muscle in her throwing shoulder. A result of cheerleading (she is a "flyer" and was dropped while one of the base caught and held her arm as she fell) no less. Anyway, any thoughts on recovery time? The doctor says lets wait and see, but the season is upon us and she is the #1 pitcher. Any suggestons out there with respect to types of therapy? :confused: She is soon to be 15, and is a RHP. She wants to pitch now, but I won't let her as I don't want any more damage.

Jan 27, 2010
First, I say she should listen to the doctors advice and get better before risking any further injury. Trying to pitch when she is not ready physically can cause you to shift more wear and tear on other muscles trying to adjust so they don't use that injured muscle. Not to mention that trying to protect a certain muscle group could cause mechanical problems. I hope the doctor clears her to pitch soon.

Apr 4, 2010
Hang tight and wait for the injury to heal. Did the Dr. refer your daughter to physical therapy to strengthen the damaged shoulder? My daughter pulled her facet muscle around XMAS time in a tournament and couldn't pitch for 6 weeks. I tried bringing her back early and she reinjured the same lower back muscle in practice and that added another 2-3 wks to the healing time. It's frustrating, but worth it in the end. As she starts to tell you that the pain is less and less, maybe she can start pitching at 30% of her normal speed just to work on her mechanics.
My daughter now has to do core and therabands daily to strengthen her facet muscle and the core region to prevent a relapse, but the Dr. did tell me that she would have relapses throughout her pitching career.

Oct 19, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Had our first visit with the physio therapist. She is taped up to "pull" the muscles back into their correct "shape?". Apparently there are four muscles involved with this unjury, but the good news is that these muscles are quite strong and bounce back relatively easy. She has 2 weeks of doing nothing but therapy, then can start pitching at a reduced level/speed. The therapist is confident that she will be pitching by the beginning of next month, which is good because we have our first tournament then. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06