Pitcher rolling ball in the dirt

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
I'd call it a illegal pitch, you cannot directly apply a substance to a ball. If she scoops up a handful of dirt and pitches like that, she probably get away with it, but I wouldn't allow a pitcher directly pour dirt on a ball. Like I said, you wouldn't allow a pitcher to dust up a ball with a resin bag, would you TMIB?

Agreed ... I’m just trying to tear it apart to get a better grasp.

Feb 20, 2019
I don’t have an issue with the pitcher using dirt to dry her hands. It’s the application of the dirt directly to the ball that I have a problem with. Again, she was rolling the ball around in the dirt, like she was making a snow ball and also pouring dirt directly on the ball. She was not using the dirt to rub the ball, i.e. to make it less slick.

While the softball rule is a little vague on this, the baseball rule is pretty clear:

6.02(c)(4): Pitcher may not apply any foreign substance to the ball. This goes beyond the "expectorate" prohibition and applies to anything at all (including dirt).

Jun 22, 2008
The ruling from USA has been posted and NFHS as well as USSSA have also issued similar statements. No, dirt is not a foreign substance but that is not the issue. No substance can be applied directly to the ball, it is considered defacing the ball. The pitcher may not roll the ball around in the dirt, cannot pick up dirt and put it directly on the ball, cannot put dirt in glove and then the ball in the glove, cannot put the resin bag directly on the ball, or in glove with ball etc etc etc.

Nothing is allowed to be purposely applied directly to the ball, it is an illegal pitch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28