Pitcher rolling ball in the dirt

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 20, 2019
We finally got to play again this past weekend. In one 16U game, a pitcher repeatedly rolled the ball around in the dirt within the pitcher's circle, in complete view of the umpires. She also would cup her hand, fill it with dirt and drop it on the ball. However, this was a little more concealed, as she would do this while the ball was in her glove.

Each time she pitched, the catcher's glove would explode in a cloud of dust, as did the pitcher's glove upon the throw back from the catcher. Point is, there was a lot of dirt on that ball.

I argued that the pitch should be illegal, based on dirt being a foreign object and questioned the umpire about it. But he disagreed and continued to allow it. This was a USA Softball tournament and their official rule book is ridiculously hard to find when you need it.

Can someone please provide the section and rule number where this is referenced?

May 29, 2015
946110FA-6B6A-4F3A-A376-A0BC2FD93134.jpeg

Kind of hard to declare dirt a foreign substance when the whole field is made out of it.

Strange? Yes. Illegal? Not IMO.

Aug 25, 2019
found this at https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Softball/News/2010/March/31/March-2010-Plays-and-Clarifications?p=1 from March 2010:

Rule 6, Section 6, Fast Pitch:

Foreign Substance:

While traveling around the country to be an instructor at National Umpire Schools, Region Rule clinics or Local Association Umpire Schools it is always interesting to listen to the local umpires talk about rules and rule applications in our great game of Amateur Softball. Throughout the country our umpires ask about rules and plays that come up from time to time. Local umpires talk about rules in a general sense and how those rules apply in our 2010 ASA Umpire Manual Official Rules of Softball. It is refreshing to see umpires dig into the book to understand the intent of a rule and how its application applies to their situations.

One common question from all areas of the country, especially in the game of Fast Pitch but would apply to other games is “By rule, is dirt a foreign substance?” Do you need to wipe off your hand if you pick up dirt and rub it on your hands?” Rule 6, Section 6A. Fast Pitch states that a defensive player shall not at any time during the game be allowed to use a foreign substance upon the ball. Under the supervision and control of the umpire, powder resin and or an approved manufactured drying agent may be used by the pitcher….

Why would we consider dirt, something common to the ground, a” foreign substance”? If a pitcher or any other defensive player picks up dirt and applies it to the ball we say “no”. We do not allow the application of any material to the ball. Players can apply resin to their hand, not to the ball. If a pitcher picks up a handful of dirt or wipes the ground with their hand, then rubs their hands together, there is no foreign substance being transferred. If a defensive player puts dirt in their hand and throws it on the ground, then catches a thrown or batted ball and returns it to the pitcher do we call this illegal? No. Example: If the catcher wipes their hand on the ground before catching the pitch and returns the ball to the pitcher without wiping their hand off do we have a violation of Rule 6? The answer is no. If we do not, then why do umpires from around the country say that the pitcher must wipe their hand off after touching dirt? Our Rule 6 is very specific, it says any “defensive player shall not at any time during a game be allowed to use any foreign substance upon the ball.”

So, if dirt can and has been used as a natural drying agent to dry off the hands, we do not believe it is mandatory for the pitcher to wipe off their hand if they pick up dirt, throw it to the ground or rub it into their hands. We do not allow dirt to be applied directly to the ball just as we do not permit any other substance. Therefore applying dirt to the hand and not wiping the hand off is perfectly legal by ASA Official Rules of Softball.

Aug 25, 2019
View attachment 18433

Kind of hard to declare dirt a foreign substance when the whole field is made out of it.

Strange? Yes. Illegal? Not IMO.
I kind of disagree, Yes, a pitcher can dry their hands off with dirt, but to apply it directly to a ball?....You say that's fine?....If the pitcher buries the ball in dirt then picks it up, is that good?....A pitcher cannot cover the ball in resin, can they?

Aug 25, 2019
On a side note to this, there was a championship game in high school a few years ago that was played on turf. The pitcher bought a whole bunch of dirt from their home field and placed it in her back pockets, to dry her hands. It was protested since there was no dirt at a turf field, but the umpires allowed is since dirt is not a foreign substance.

Last edited:
May 29, 2015
Good points! I can see the argument, but I’m not 100% sold. Would we allow the offense to say the ball is too dirty because they have hit too many ground balls in a row?

I suppose the problem is not the substance, but the pitcher’s actions.

But then let’s take another strange twist ... we wouldn’t allow the pitcher to rub the ball up or pack it with mud ... so why should we allow dirt?

Aug 25, 2019
USSSA RULES: Section 6-1-I

I. Foreign Substance on the ball/Items on pitcher. The pitcher shall not at any time be allowed to use any moisture or foreign substance on the ball, the pitching hand or fingers nor do anything to deface the ball. A pitcher who licks their fingers must wipe the fingers off before bringing them in contact with the ball. 1. Under the supervision and control of the Umpire, the pitcher may use following items to dry the hand which is in contact with the ball: dirt (but not chalk), powdered resin, or an approved drying agent. When using these items, the pitcher is not required to wipe the hand prior to contacting the ball; when using any other substance, the pitcher must wipe the pitching hand prior to contacting the ball. No tacky or sticky substances can be used as a substitute for a powdered drying agent.

Jun 8, 2016
Here in OK where it is windy and they don't water the fields, EVER, that would just mix in with the big cloud of dirt that perpetually blows through the IF.

Aug 25, 2019
Good points! I can see the argument, but I’m not 100% sold. Would we allow the offense to say the ball is too dirty because they have hit too many ground balls in a row?

I suppose the problem is not the substance, but the pitcher’s actions.

But then let’s take another strange twist ... we wouldn’t allow the pitcher to rub the ball up or pack it with mud ... so why should we allow dirt?
I'd call it a illegal pitch, you cannot directly apply a substance to a ball. If she scoops up a handful of dirt and pitches like that, she probably get away with it, but I wouldn't allow a pitcher directly pour dirt on a ball. Like I said, you wouldn't allow a pitcher to dust up a ball with a resin bag, would you TMIB?

May 29, 2015
USSSA RULES: Section 6-1-I

I. Foreign Substance on the ball/Items on pitcher. The pitcher shall not at any time be allowed to use any moisture or foreign substance on the ball, the pitching hand or fingers nor do anything to deface the ball. A pitcher who licks their fingers must wipe the fingers off before bringing them in contact with the ball. 1. Under the supervision and control of the Umpire, the pitcher may use following items to dry the hand which is in contact with the ball: dirt (but not chalk), powdered resin, or an approved drying agent. When using these items, the pitcher is not required to wipe the hand prior to contacting the ball; when using any other substance, the pitcher must wipe the pitching hand prior to contacting the ball. No tacky or sticky substances can be used as a substitute for a powdered drying agent.

Playing Devil’s Advocate here ... a foreign substance cannot be used on the ball, pitching hand, or fingers. Dirt, resin, or an approved drying agent can be used on the fingers and hand. Ergo, those are not foreign substances. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802