Protective gear for pitchers

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

I have really resisted jumping in on this "discussion" but am really feeling compelled for some reason.

For anyone wondering if wearing a mask will limit the college recruitability of your daughter.....don't worry one second about it. If your DD can play a college coach doesn't care if she wears a mask, body armor, or a tutu. There used to be a few "old school holdovers" but those days are gone. Look at the number of college players wearing masks and the number is growing.

Wear a mask.....the serious injury potential is just not worth it!!!!!!

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I have really resisted jumping in on this "discussion" but am really feeling compelled for some reason.

For anyone wondering if wearing a mask will limit the college recruitability of your daughter.....don't worry one second about it. If your DD can play a college coach doesn't care if she wears a mask, body armor, or a tutu. There used to be a few "old school holdovers" but those days are gone. Look at the number of college players wearing masks and the number is growing.

Appreciate your logic and thinking, but I'm not so sure that we're that far removed from the old school days. My observations of SB in the NE is that the percentage of players wearing masks in college is far less than the percentage of pre-college players who are hoping to be able to play in college. Could just be a regional thing, but....

Jan 4, 2015
Tacoma, wa
My daughter was knocked to the ground, had her cheekbone flattened, and fractured her sinus because she refused to wear her mask. Now she won't step on the infield for a game or practice without her mask. I'm thinking of getting her an evoshield as well as an elbow guard for batting for the coming season. The elbow guard is something she's asking for.

Jun 7, 2013

Point. Set. Match!!!

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Appreciate your logic and thinking, but I'm not so sure that we're that far removed from the old school days. My observations of SB in the NE is that the percentage of players wearing masks in college is far less than the percentage of pre-college players who are hoping to be able to play in college. Could just be a regional thing, but....

Could it be as with cages on batting helmets, college players are electing to not use the fielding mask? Keep in mind that with the possible exception of ISF players, every college player recruited wore a cage on their helmet prior to college.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences

funny thing my DD was heavily recruited and subsequently signed in NE and not one coach questioned her wearing of a mask as
they were more inclined to talk about the effectiveness of the rise.
as Bob Dylan says "the times they are a changing...."

Oct 2, 2012
on the Field
My daughter has always worn a mask and Evoshield chest protector since she started pitching. The funny thing is that she has gotten hit pretty much everywhere (stomach, ribs just under the evoshield) except in the evoshield while pitching. She has always used it, so it's no big deal to her. Not only for her long term protection, but I like knowing she can continue to pitch if hit. She is on an A level 12U team with 2 other pitchers and they are all working for pitching time. If she leaves the circle due to getting hit, that's less time she has to show what she can do. I know that sounds shallow, but it's reality as you move up in age and level. She was in LF a few weeks ago backing up a throwdown at 3rd from the catcher. The 3rd baseman completely missed the ball and it centered my daughter in the chest as she was running in to back up the play. Even the ump stopped the play to check on her. She caught the ball as it bounced off her chest with no issues. She never missed a beat.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors