Protective gear for pitchers

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
yes you are quite astute - it is pictures of girls hit in the face with softballs - The girl my daughter hit was not severely damaged that was the whole point -
Thanks for paying attention.

So your point was softballs moving fast hitting someone in the face can hurt them? I think that is undisputed. What are we missing?

Aug 6, 2013
So your point was softballs moving fast hitting someone in the face can hurt them? I think that is undisputed. What are we missing?

OK let’s go back to Jump Street -

I said to the OP that I would have my 10U Daughter wear a mask no matter how she felt about it - I related a story of how my daughter knocked a girl down who was wearing a mask - and though she was hit very hard was fairly unfazed -

You called me on the fact that I used the phrase "Like she was shot" and though she recoiled and dropped to the ground - "Like she was shot" - I restated it.

I then followed up with pictures of girls who were not wearing masks whose faces had been "Blown up"

Not sure why this conversation is even a thing...

May 6, 2014
Low and outside
I will say this one more time -
There were Goalies in the NHL not wearing masks as late as 1977 for essentially these very same reasons-
Does anyone think less of goalies today because they wear masks?
Or would you think they were stupid for not?

I don't know why you are arguing with me. I enumerated the various debates I have read about masks on this site. I expressed no opinion one way or another, nor do I really even have one.

Aug 6, 2013
I don't know why you are arguing with me. I enumerated the various debates I have read about masks on this site. I expressed no opinion one way or another, nor do I really even have one.

I'm not arguing with you - I'm sorry if it seemed I was.
I just stated that goalies in the NHL had the same debate - and today we would consider it idiotic for them to play without a mask
I did not mean to imply you thought the opposite.

I regret having used the phrase "I will say this one more time" that was refering to the fact I have posted this same fact several times on this site.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
OK let’s go back to Jump Street -

I said to the OP that I would have my 10U Daughter wear a mask no matter how she felt about it - I related a story of how my daughter knocked a girl down who was wearing a mask - and though she was hit very hard was fairly unfazed -

You called me on the fact that I used the phrase "Like she was shot" and though she recoiled and dropped to the ground - "Like she was shot" - I restated it.

I then followed up with pictures of girls who were not wearing masks whose faces had been "Blown up"

Not sure why this conversation is even a thing...

Now that we have reached the corner of Walk It Back Avenue I am sure we can agree that the pitcher recoiling and dropping to the ground is quite a bit different than being "taken off her feet" which was the hyperbole I was referencing. The pictures still seem much more about dramatic shock value than anything substantive. Not sure what is to be learned from them that is not already known.

Few if any that post here discount the value of wearing a mask. The only area that seems controversial is the few that call for a mandate that they be used.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2013
Now that we have reached the corner of Walk It Back Avenue I am sure we can agree that the pitcher recoiling and dropping to the ground is quite a bit different than being "taken off her feet" which was the hyperbole I was referencing. The pictures still seem much more about dramatic shock value than anything substantive. Not sure what is to be learned from them that is not already known.

Few if any that post here discount the value of wearing a mask. The only area that seems controversial is the few that call for a mandate that they be used.

Not sure about walkin it back but - I was just taken aback by your implication that my statement of what I had just seen were untrue.

I can tell you that when the pitcher was hit it was a very scary thing and "taken off her feet" was literally what happened, she was hit and dropped.
I did not mean to imply anything more violent than a girl being struck severely in the head and collapsing to the ground.

And the photos were in response to the poster who implied that having their face blown up was hyperbole - not to anything you said.

Jun 12, 2015
Parent choice. Should be a no brainer. I guess we can't be held responsible when other people are wrong ;)

Nov 18, 2013
I like the masks, but not the scare tactics, illogical arguments and accusations of poor parenting if you disagree about mandating them.

Aug 6, 2013
I would never suggest mandating anything - but it should be an easy choice.

I wear a seatbelt because I dont want to hit the windshield not because theres a law -

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rosie