Protective gear for pitchers

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
If your DD Frowns on a face mask at 10U get her one any way –
I don’t want to start THE Face mask discussion AGAIN but… My daughter nailed a pitcher in the head over the weekend with a line drive that would have gone to the fence. It ricocheted off the girl’s mask, took her off her feet like she was shot but no real damage.
She was shaken up – and I’ll assume a headache (I also assume they did the concussion protocol) but if she had had no mask this would be a different post.

Is the hyperbole really necessary?

Aug 6, 2013
Is the hyperbole really necessary?

What did you find to be Hyperbolas...
Let me review what happened; The ball did in fact ricochet off her mask, it did take her off her feet. Hmmm...
Let’s see – something less hyperbolas than Shot… Hmm –

Ooo I know... "It was as though a she were hit in the head with a 7oz sphere going 50+ mph."

Is that better for you?

Don't know about you RB but I really dont want my daughter (or anybodys daughter) hit in the face with anything - if she can have equipment to help lessen it - I think thats cool, if you don't that ain't cool but it's your choice (poor choice as it is).

My daughter was upset she hit this girl with minimal damage - she would have neen devistated if she would have blown up her face.
And that is Not hyperbole

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2015
Like I said before, the mask isn't an issue. She always wears one whatever positions she's playing. I think she'd probably feel weird without one at this point. I know this is a hotly debated softball topic but I don't get why. I see no down side to wearing a mask outside of "not looking tough." I think my kid's playing more than makes up for any non-tough appearance. *shrug* To each her own.

May 6, 2014
Low and outside
I know this is a hotly debated softball topic but I don't get why.

1. Mandates or no mandates
2. Perceived risk vs. actual risk of injury
3. Coaches at higher levels allegedly claiming that masks are for "sissy-girls"
4. Whether masks are simply insurance against an inability to field correctly
5. Whether masks are just the beginning of an avalanche of mandated safety gear
6. Whether you'd get safer results by "dumbing down" the bats and/or balls
7. etc.

Aug 6, 2013
th
View attachment 8546
th

Pictured above: Not Hyperbole

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
What did you find to be Hyperbolas...
Let me review what happened; The ball did in fact ricochet off her mask, it did take her off her feet. Hmmm...
Let’s see – something less hyperbolas than Shot… Hmm –

Ooo I know... "It was as though a she were hit in the head with a 7oz sphere going 50+ mph."

Is that better for you?

Don't know about you RB but I really dont want my daughter (or anybodys daughter) hit in the face with anything - if she can have equipment to help lessen it - I think thats cool, if you don't that ain't cool but it's your choice (poor choice as it is).

My daughter was upset she hit this girl with minimal damage - she would have neen devistated if she would have blown up her face.
And that is Not hyperbole

To state that a 7oz sphere traveling at 50+ mph took someone "off their feet" is certainly hyperbole. It is truly unfortunate, and she may have went down, but taken off her feet as though she has been shot is an exaggeration to say the least. Masks are a good thing and exaggeration and drama is not needed to convey the benefits of their use.

Aug 6, 2013
1. Mandates or no mandates
2. Perceived risk vs. actual risk of injury
3. Coaches at higher levels allegedly claiming that masks are for "sissy-girls"
4. Whether masks are simply insurance against an inability to field correctly
5. Whether masks are just the beginning of an avalanche of mandated safety gear
6. Whether you'd get safer results by "dumbing down" the bats and/or balls
7. etc.

I will say this one more time -
There were Goalies in the NHL not wearing masks as late as 1977 for essentially these very same reasons-
Does anyone think less of goalies today because they wear masks?
Or would you think they were stupid for not?

Aug 6, 2013
I find it hard to believe that this is the same girl who wore the mask. Can we assume that this is a totally unrelated photo included for dramatic effect in attempt to prove some type of point?

yes you are quite astute - it is pictures of girls hit in the face with softballs - The girl my daughter hit was not severely damaged that was the whole point -
Thanks for paying attention.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SecOnd in Comand