Practice Structure

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 13, 2010
I have a few concerns about the way my DD's team has been practicing lately. I have been noticing that about 80% of the girls only practice at their "primary" position. The main reason I have picked up on this is in the last 4 practices my DD has only left the circle for maybe 10 mins in the OF, which consisted of about 3 balls hit her way. Now, I'm happy that she is in the circle but thats not the only position she will play.
The team does do the ground ball drill where 2 coaches are hitting grounders to SS and 2nd base, so she is getting ground balls. I haven't seen an outfieild drill but I haven't made all the practices. I guess I'm just griping and needed a place to gripe to. The practices were fine in the fall and kinda started going down hill in Jan/Feb. The coaches, IMO, have been putting way to much emphases on "live" pitching. So the girls are in the primary position, for 75% of the practices. Softball is slow to begain with, lets not make it any slower. I don't think more than 15 balls got hit last night and maybe just 4 to the OF, and they didn't even do any drills. Just live pitching with players in position. I am beyound frustrated.

The coach has a DD on the team. Shes a solid player. The coach is on her ALL THE TIME. just over coaching. now she doesn't do this to anyother player. The parents all say, How long to the coach's DD gets an attitude and/or starts crying. I can't blame the DD, she gets constently. Everything the coach says is true, but come on, lets say it once and move on. Its a team practice not the coach and DD practice. it gets pretty hard to take some practices and I'm not sure its helpful for anybody.

Thanks for reading my rant, just needed to vent.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
In my opinion none of DD’s Teams have practiced OF enough; we have started trying to get to get to practice early or staying late so we can work on it ourselves.

Unfortunately the interaction between the coach their DD, is more the rule then the exception. I wonder how some coach’s DDs survive, if they do.

If by “live” pitching you mean the batter is up with an entire defensive team on the field, I agree with you this is a poor use of everyone’s time. If you have some room and a couple helpers there are a lot of better ways to run practice.

I would polity express your opinion to the Manager, except about their DD. Keep your opinion about their DD to yourself.

Jan 13, 2010
Yes by "live" pitching, that is exactly what I mean. Entire defensive team on the field. Was boring for everyone, I'm sure the players were having a hard time keeping focused. It was 10 times slower than a game because after most pitches coaching was going on, ie: should have swung at that pitch. Kepp your head in, corners you need to be creeping, catcher you need to block that ball.....

After about 20 mins the coach, who was a bit farther away from home plate than an on deck batter, must have figured it was a slow moving practice. the coach than started hitting fly balls to the outfield between pitches the OF would than throw the ball to a coach on 2nd. Coach would bounce the ball back to the other coach who was hitting. that made it even slower because the pitcher and IF would wait for the coach to get the ball back.

UUUGGGGGGHHHHH

Feb 27, 2012
Greg - When is your DD's first Tournament? Probably going to see that kind of practice as you approach tournament season - especially if this was the last practice before DD's first tournament. I guess you took down your avatar because you realized that the bashing you are doing of your DD's organization would get back to them? Quincy had it right. A polite conversation with the coach might go a long way in gaining some perspective as to why that practice looked that way and/or getting some of your suggested changes implemented. You are bashing volunteers who are donating their time and trying to help your DD - good or bad - they are not paid professionals. As with most situations in life we can try to be part of the solution or make the problem bigger - which do you think is the better example for your DD?

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2011
I don't know your coach's philosophy, so I can't say what they're hoping to achieve with their current practice plans.

Last year, my rec team didn't face much (if any) live pitching during practices. For the makeup of that team, it wasn't necessary. For the TB team, we used it occasionally because, for that team, it was indicated. For this year's rec team, we're using the pitchers almost every practice, because that's what the team needs right now.

We are not doing much outfield work either because until they learn to throw, we don't really have any outfielders.

Your coach's goals for as well as the needs of the team should dictate the way practices are managed.

Jan 13, 2010
Conflicted, I hope you are right about seeing more live pitching as we approach the season. This is the 3rd coach my DD has had in 3 years and think she has pitched more at practice this past month(to hitters) than she has did all year for the other coaches. I am just seeing what coaching style was the norm.
I don't think I am bashing the coach/coaches, just stating a facts and seeing what others opinions were. And it has been about 3-4 practices, not one. I can almost understand one practice set up this way. I plan on talking to the coach after this weekend. Yes, i did take the profile pic down when i realized My DD's team was on her jersey. But most people that are on this board in my area know who I am and who my DD is.

Momo, When you are using your pitchers for this years team, do you have the whole defense behind them? I would think maybe pitcher, catcher and corners and tell the batter to just bunt. With another girl ready to bunt when the first is done that only ties up 6 girls and a bit of the infield. the other 6 could be doing what ever.

Feb 27, 2012
Questioning the coaches practice plan, the treatment of their own DD (granted most if not all coaches could improve in this area) ......"Beyond Frustrated" "UUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH" and people local to you on this board know you and the organization but you think your post wasn't bashing the coaches or detrimental to your DD's team or organization? really?

I am glad to hear you are going are going to talk with the coach/coaches. Any coach that is in it for the right reasons should welcome polite constructive feedback and suggestions in person rather than not so annonymous ranting on a message board.

Feb 27, 2012
I don't think anyone said the complaint wasn't valid. If a person feels strongly enough to complain, the complaint is at least valid to them. The coach may argue difference of opinion or style as to the practice plan - wich could be good discussion. The point is this was NOT an annonymous post asking for feedback - it was a public rant. According to the poster he is known on the board and locally and so is his DD's team. The poster has been frustrated for at least 3-4 practices and chose to publicly post complaints instead of talking to the coach.

How often do we read about employees/athletes getting fired/fined/suspended for making derogitory statements or complaints about employers or coaches on social media and other outlets? Cyber bullying is at epidemic proportions in our school systems and young people are committing suicide in extreme cases. We are supposed to be adults capable of constructive communication to resolve conflict. Just because we can publicly post a complaint doesn't mean we should or that it is a good example of how to handle conflict for our DD's.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
Live pitching in practice is fine, but you have to make good use of the time you have. At 10U and 12U, live pitching can be a lot like watching the grass grow. If I want to combine hitting with fielding and base-running, I soft toss balls during practice.

If it's strictly live BP, all you need is a batter, pitcher, catcher, and a few ball shaggers. The rest of the team can (should) be split off to do something else, after which you can switch. You can't have kids standing around doing nothing. The game moves slowly enough as it is. If I were you, I might suggest that I (or an assistant coach) take some of the extra kids to a different part of the field and work on some specific skills that the head coach would think is useful. Be part of the solution.

Feb 3, 2011
Momo, When you are using your pitchers for this years team, do you have the whole defense behind them? I would think maybe pitcher, catcher and corners and tell the batter to just bunt. With another girl ready to bunt when the first is done that only ties up 6 girls and a bit of the infield. the other 6 could be doing what ever.
No, we only field 4 positions - P, C, 1B, 3B (sometimes 2B). 3-4 will bat, and then the remaining players are getting individual work, primarily on throwing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi