Practice Attendance/ Team Rules

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 8, 2009
I am trying to create a list of allowable absences for practice and a new list of team rules. What are some of the rules you have for practice attendance? What would be excused absences? School sports, sickness ect. What are some of the team rules, parent/player conduct?
Thanks 1999coach

Jan 12, 2011
Vienna, VA
I think it depends on the level you are playing. I would expect an "A" travel ball team to be more strict than a "B" team. Here is something I got from our local "A" team website:

Punctuality
One hour and 15 minutes before any team event (practice, doubleheader, tournament game, etc) every girl should be on the field with all her gear, ready to begin warm-ups. This does not mean she pulls into the parking lot at 1 hour 15, nor is she putting her cleats on at 1 hour 15. It means she is ready to begin at 1 hour 15.

Of course, I am not worried about someone not showing up because a tractor trailer overturned in front of them on the way to the field. I understand traffic. I simply don’t want girls arriving late because they just didn’t arrange to make it on time.

Absences
Kids will get sick. Everyone one of the girls will miss at least one practice or game due to illness this year. I understand that, and it doesn’t upset me. Many of them will also have school functions: choral performances, science fair, whatever. I get it; my kids had the same commitments at that age.

That being said, I don’t want to put myself in the position of “absence-adjudicator”. If your daughter needs to be absent, there is no need to ask permission. Just inform me that she can not be there. There is no such thing as an “excused absence.” You’re either here, or you’re not here. Girls missing practice times or game times will take an extra turn sitting on the bench.

Bench time for absences is not a “punishment”. It is a mechanism I use to relieve me of the responsibility of having to arbitrate absences. It’s also a good life lesson for the girls: No matter how good the reason, absences have consequences. After she sits, the lesson has been imparted, and she is not “in the doghouse.” The only thing I ask is let me know as soon as you know your daughter will be missing time.

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
If they are warming up an hour and 15 minutes before practice, isn't that essentially making practice over an hour longer? Or what do they do for an hour?

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA