Possible stress fracture?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 26, 2014
My 16 year old daughter is a fastpitch pitcher. She had scoliosis surgery 4 years ago, and is fused from T4-T12. About 8 months ago, she started experiencing sharp pain in her lower back while pitching, localized to one spot on her left. The school's sports medicine sent her to an orthopedist, and the Xray showed that her spine below her fusion was curving more than in previous xrays. Her scoliosis doctor said that if it becomes worse let him know, with possible further surgery. Her coach gave her 30 minute treatments every day for 3 months, including heat, massage, and stretching. It didn't help. Physical therapy didn't help either, and she is now getting an alternative type of massage therapy, where they are stretching her muscles. Again no relief. It only hurts while she's pitching, and sometimes while she's batting. Going through the forums here, I'm wondering if maybe it could be a stress fracture. I've read up on stress fractures, but nothing specific to softball, but the symptoms sound like what she has, and before I approach her doctor again, I want to make sure I have enough information. Does anybody have any thoughts on this?
Thanks!

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Agree with OILF. Your question(s) are absolutely for a medical practitioner.

Make a list of all the possible things you think it might be (including stress fracture if you think it might be that) and ask a lot of questions of your Dr. on tests that can be done to conclude or rule out those particular diagnosis. Stuff like, what about an x-ray will that reveal it? Does she need an MRI? Would a CT-scan be better? I don't really know I'm just throwing things out there.

Make sure your DD has a list of all symptoms, be specific in describing the type of pain, when it happens, what she is doing when it happens and how long it lasts.

I've found the more info you can give them and the more questions you ask, generally the better they are about finding the root cause of the problem rather than just trying to get to the next appointment on their schedule. Your mileage may vary.

Dec 7, 2011
I previously elaborated on DFP here about the EXTREMELY challenging and scary experience that we went through with my DD's pars stress fracture but I can't find that thread - it was about 2 years ago. But that thread details the trials & tribulations of getting through the VERY rocky road of BAD doctors and trainers advice you can very easily be saddled with.

If you end up not finding that long thread sequence I authored PM me and I will share info there.

Back stress fractures are the silent sideliner of SOOOOOO many pitchers and nobody appears to want to recognize it even with the frequency of occurrence.

Dec 7, 2011
RB:
DId your DD have a fused back? I appreciated your thread, but I just don't think it applies here. This one has some other implications due to the structure of a fused back and nature of scoliosis. You could do stuff on your own or take advice from a board and still end up in serious trouble. You could even have perfect form or core strength and trouble could happen...

My DD did not have a fused back and you and I BOTH don't know the relationship this fact may or may not have in the final diagnosis. The important information that could be useful here to carwx are the steps that were taken and the scrutiny that every parent needs to give the multitudes of almost malpracticing "professionals" out there. Even with the POSSIBILITY that carwx's DD could be "working through" a stress fracture while "professionals" are doing physical therapy, manipulations, and stretching (that could totally exacerbate the problem) SHOULD scare the pants off of anyone.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
If my daughter had back pain I would be using every trick in the book to get her every test available and getting as many second opinions as possible. Good doctors have a name for bad doctors....they call them 007's (licensed to kill).

Sep 18, 2011
Doctors are reluctant to schedule expensive MRIs at the first sign of pain, but this has been going on far too long. I think she needs an MRI. X-rays won't detect a stress fracture. My non-professional advice is for your DD to immediately stop the activity that is causing her pain and schedule an MRI asap.

Dec 7, 2011
Doctors are reluctant to schedule expensive MRIs at the first sign of pain, but this has been going on far too long. I think she needs an MRI. X-rays won't detect a stress fracture. My non-professional advice is for your DD to immediately stop the activity that is causing her pain and schedule an MRI asap.

Yup -

When ya step back for a moment, and think for yourself, it is the most logical steps of progression. How in the he!! do you assume no bone break and just go full bore into manipulations and exercise that could complicate and prolong the matter??? (and this is what I think most trainers and ortho's that see mostly old people do!)

Yes MRI's are not cheap. But my STRONG recommendation is ya either shut down for 8 weeks (and I mean shut down ALL toreso-torque movements) OR you get the MRI and confirm the break and shut-down for 8 weeks OR the MRI proves no break and you can confidently go after what other thing might be inducing the pain.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619