Possible shoulder injury

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 23, 2010
Florida
Yesterday we started our pitching practice and went through normal warm up process. She takes a light jog, throws overhand, fields some grounders. Once she has a little sweat going, we start with the pitching. First drill we typically do is arm whips from the 9 o'clock position. On her very first pitch, she felt something wrong in her shoulder area. We immediately shut down. Since she is 12 yoa, it is hard to get her to explain exactly what she is feeling. We iced her down and as the night went on, she started feeling better. Her description is that its muscular. Sounds like a possible muscle strain in the front of the shoulder. Obviously if it is still sore after a couple days, she will get it examined. This is the first time she has ever had to shut down a practice or game for an injury. Has anyone else had experience with this type of injury in such a young girl? Shoulder injuries are something that could really derail her pitching plans. We really stress proper mechanics to prevent damage. The fact she got injured and her arm was basically at her side gives me some hope it is only a muscle spasm or pull verses structural. Kind of waiting on pins and needles.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
How much is she pitching and is she playing year around? Is she playing VB?

Good luck. Shoulder pain is no fun.

I would take even more time warming her up. After the jog add some stretches, both dynamic and static. I would bet that she is throwing too hard or too far during this "arm whip from 9 o'clock."

Good luck. I have had shoulder problems. Let us know what the doc says. By the way, do you have a warm pool that she can stretch out in and tread water. I use mine daily and haven't had any more shoulder problems.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan

I would take even more time warming her up. After the jog add some stretches, both dynamic and static. I would bet that she is throwing too hard or too far during this "arm whip from 9 o'clock."

Good luck. I have had shoulder problems. Let us know what the doc says. By the way, do you have a warm pool that she can stretch out in and tread water. I use mine daily and haven't had any more shoulder problems.

Amy, why the question about Volleyball? My daughter plays both, so far no problem for her. So I am curious about what the issue or risk is.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida

Amy- She actually had the month of December off. We started up again beginning of the month. She has been throwing with no issues for about 3 weeks now. Just got off the phone with her. Says it is still sore. I will shut her down for a few days and see how she progresses next week. I am hopeful it is just a tweaked muscle. Pain is in the front and not on the top or outside. I had labrum surgery and its not a fun recovery.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Explore the problem together it will be educational for her. Have her go through her motion and find the specific part of it that causes the pain, then isolate that motion. That should give you a pretty good idea of whether it is muscular or in the ligaments or tendons.

May 10, 2010
Has she had a growth spurt? My dd grew 4" in about 3 months. Had to Lay off several weeks for the muscles to catch up to the joints. As for volley ball alot of players start off throwing overhanded with a spiking motion. Especially if it has been a while since picking up a softball. Spiking and throwing are 2 different motions.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Could it be an overuse injury that is only showing up now? One of my pitching students had that in the fall. She took off August and part of September, went out to pitch and there was pain. You have to be careful about who you see on it too.

She went to her doctor, and he said "labrum tear" and something else. Told her and her parents that there was a good possibility she would need shoulder surgery, and that she may never pitch or play softball again. Did an MRI and identified the labrum tear in the picture.

I didn't believe it was possible -- I know her pitching mechanics (obviously) and they are good, so I suggested they contact Dr. Nikhil Verma in at Rush Hospital in Chicago. He's the one who has done all the studies on softball pitchers and has been saying that overuse is a very real problem despite the so-called natural pitching motion. They set up an appointment and got in to see him. He checked her out, looked at the MRI and laughed at the prior diagnosis. He said it was an over-use injury. No labrum tear, no surgery. Gave her a cortisone shot for the swelling, told her no pitching or hitting for a month and you'll be fine.

She's been back at lessons since late November and is pain-free. Pitched four innings indoors last weekend, again pain-free. So be sure whoever you see understands sports medicine, and softball pitching specifically if possible.

May 25, 2010
Hopefully, it is just a case of overuse. You don't have to go racing to the doc or therapist immediately, but I'd give her a minimum of 1 week off - NO THROWING AT ALL (not even light tosses) - and then see how it goes. Obviously, it's better to rest and get fully healed now than to play through the pain and end up in worse shape a few months from now. If no improvement after a week, I would get in to see a doctor right away.

Good luck to her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish