Poor Umpires and the effect on the girls

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
I just got a call from a frantic parent trying to validate a rule some umpire was spewing. This 10U pitcher was throwing in a game and the umpire kept telling her she was illegal. He was telling her that her follow through step, after she released the ball was outside the 24" pitching plate. BTW, he never actually called her for an IP. So I explained to the Mom, that I have never heard of a pitcher being called for that violation, and I do not believe there is a rule against it. So I look it up on the USSSA site, and of course, the rule is talking about the stride foot. So here is this umpire getting paid to call a game, and he is telling a young girl she is wrong, when in fact it was his misinterpretation. The Mom finds the head ump after the game and finds out her DD is in fact legal. They get the umpire and he apologizes to her. That in itself is a miracle. What I don't get is why these umps, who are the only one's at the tournaments getting paid to do a job, have such ego's or ignorance that they would mess with a young girls mental capacity. Who knows how this will effect this young pitcher going forward. I have just seen so many "look at me" umpires over the years. It is sad. I am sure when they started it was with good intentions. Some of these clowns just need to hang up their clicker and retire.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
We had a blue about 2 weeks ago, strike zone was all over the place for both teams. So I walk from the crazy dad section down the line, to behind the backstop ( had to get a closer view of this ). Top of the inning we take the field and the catcher comes up to the fence and tells me "that ump smells like beer". I got a good laugh and walked back down the line, told the dads what the catch said.

After the game I asked the catch "how do you know what beer smells like" ( 17yo ) she says "my dad uses it to kill snails in the garden, he takes a few cans out there everyday before mom gets home". I laughed so hard after she walked away.

Apr 14, 2013
Long Island
I never had an issue with Blue before like that, but, one time, one of my player's dads was bitching about where I was playing his DD and I told the dad "your daughter told me she was going to run away from home but didn't because she didn't have anyone else to take her to her softball games and practices." Then I walked away and put his DD on First Base and had the ump eject the dad for smelling like alcohol and threatening me with a pair of needlenose pliers. Okay, I didn't really do that but I wanted to. Next time...next time...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32