Poor sportsmanship

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2013
After reading the TB coach's extended statement I have a lot more sympathy for the catcher, but not for the reasons the TB coach might have intended.

It's really clear to me that lots of adults who were responsible in one way or another for mentoring, guiding, and protecting this child failed to do so.
The TB coach tells several outright lies and otherwise weaves a tapestry of BS (She's not positioning to receive a ball that gets cut - Her glove is down and closed). She's also not in a legal or defensible position... heck. in the second hit, she initially has her left leg extended back as far as it can reach -- at least 2' into foul territory before gathering it under her to deliver the blow, etc.). So she's been getting mentored by this woman apparently for years.

Neither her HS coach nor their staff seemed to notice or worse, noticed and didn't care or worst of all (and most likely IMO) taught and told her to do it. In fact, you can see her look over into the dugout right after delivering the second hit.

Given that it's a state championship, I assume the AD and the principal were at the game as well. No action from them either.

The umpire, whose job is first and foremost to protect the players -sometimes from themselves- takes no action on either hit.

All-in-all, lots of adults around who could have prevented this s-storm by taking action failed in their responsibilities.

At 17, you have to own your actions, but she sure was let down by a lot of people who were supposed to be looking out for her.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Wife saw the video of this on the local network news in CT tonight. Anyone who thinks this was an unintentional, un-coached action is either ignorant or delusional. What actually most surprises me about this whole thing is that the HS coach seems to be getting a free pass.

May 23, 2015
This is a prime example of how the actions and words of adults can shape the lives of young people. I would have an immediate nose to nose spit flying discussion IF the coaches asked my daughter to in any way engage in this type of behavior on the field. She would have a public dressing down like no other IF my daughter decided to do this on her own. This is way beyond spirited gritty play

Oct 19, 2009
Fox news had a story on this this morning their opinion was they were surprised the catcher has not had any consequences due to her actions.

I agree with Greenmonster the coach seem to be receiving a free pass.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Fox news had a story on this this morning their opinion was they were surprised the catcher has not had any consequences due to her actions.

The issue of consequences is tricky. Season is over, so not much the team can do. School is out, so not much the school can do. The high school association can't do much on the basis of fan video. The umpires that they hired did not see it or consider it a violation. It's kinda like sending a video of a bad call. Too late. Of course, Sam Houston State could do something. Not saying that there shouldn't be consequences, but I don't know who has jurisdiction. I bet there is no precedence for a high school association taking action on a player based on video after the fact on a play that drew no penalty.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SecOnd in Comand