Poor sportsmanship

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2015
GA
All I have to say is, I really hope I'm able to get a good sense of any team my daughter plays on BEFORE we join. I have no interest in being on a team where the parents get into fights and this type of behavior is considered acceptable. Learning how to win and lose with grace is part of what I love about my daughter playing sports.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
IT DOESN'T MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE THAT THE CATCHER "GAVE" A PATH TO THE PLATE OR THAT EITHER RUNNER WAS ADVANCING IN THE DIRECTION OF THE CATCHER, THE CATCHER DOESN'T BELONG THERE, PERIOD!

The runner may run wherever they please, not wherever the defense "allows" them to run. The ONLY purpose this catcher has for being where she set up is to intimidate or punish the runner. Those trying to make an excuse or justifying this player's actions are sad excuses for fans of the game.

Oct 10, 2011
I just read through this thread quickly and found it interesting...DW and I just were talking about how it seems like every person that ends up on the news for some crime they commit, the neighbors, co-workers, etc... say how nice the person is, and they just can't believe they'd do something like this.
This young lady may be nice off the field and I'm not saying she's a criminal, but someone could have been hurt.
One of DD'S old coaches told her to hit the runner hard in the back with the ball if she put down a bunt and DD refused to do it. He got ticked off and she just said "too bad, I'm not that kind of person. " He argued it was part of the game.

Feb 26, 2012
Indiana
I found it more interesting that the opposing team actually had a sign for an intentional HBP. ;)

Maybe the middle finger...

Did she at least hit your batter with a changeup? I have seen a few instances where pitchers have trouble performing an intentional walk without throwing wild pitch(es) with runners on base. So, they lob changeups at the batter. Not advocating this practice...just an observation. I am a proponent of practicing the execution of an intentional walk for when it is needed.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
I'm sure this kid didn't realize that the entire SB world would see this and that her name would be attached. Would some colleges scratch her name based solely on those two moves?

I'm going to show it to DD as a reminder that very little these days goes unrecorded.

Jun 7, 2013
I'm sure this kid didn't realize that the entire SB world would see this and that her name would be attached. Would some colleges scratch her name based solely on those two moves?

I'm going to show it to DD as a reminder that very little these days goes unrecorded.

The unfortunate thing is that this action might move her name UP on the list for some colleges!

Feb 18, 2014
Welcome to the new disgusting America.

Some of you are taking this way too personal, for something that happened hundred or thousands of miles away, with people you will never meet.

News flash, kids and young adults, everyone for that matter, makes stupid decisions. I will go out on a limb and say that some of you, that seem too want to take this girl out back and put a bullet in her head, have made worse decisions in your life.

But those of you that have never made a mistake, go back to "throwing the first stone" with your internet shaming. But good Hell, quit acting like it was your kid that took the hit, you should not be so emotionally vested in every thing you read on the internet.

May 29, 2013
@grmerrill -- I only speak for myself, but I take this personally because my DD gets out there and plays every weekend. When something like this happens, it needs to be shouted down loudly and authoritatively. Ideally, there should be significant negative consequences for player, her coaches, and the umpires who stood by and did nothing.

This was not "normal play" or "hard nosed softball" -- this was straight up thuggery. I think most in the softball world have a personal interest in ensuring that this type of conduct does not become "normal play."

No one here is advocating "a bullet to the head" but if she lost a college scholarship or had to go downtown and get booked for assault, I'd be ok with that. Lots of 17 year-olds do dumb things, but that doesn't mean the aren't responsible for their actions or the repercussions that come from them.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2009
Vdub, that was an honest typo. If you read my posts you will see I do not call names or troll. I can only say my typo was not as bad as "effers on the knuckles" in the changeup thread! :) And I went back and fixed it.

I will just say I am glad all the bonehead things I did playing football occurred pre-Internet.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1