PONY pitchinng substitution rules

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

I know not too many of you play PONY but I am looking for a little help before asking our president and UIC.

If you switch your starting pitcher and another player say SS can the starter come back in whenever you want.

The rule that I understand is they can only come back once in that same inning but if you switched in say the 3rd and wanted SS to come back and pitch the 5th I was under the impression that this was 100% legal.

Granted this was just a sour coach who was on the losing end of a 13-5 game at their last at bats thinking he was going to come back on us since he loaded the bases and an umpire who was not sure about the rule so I just rotated another pitcher in and kept arguing so she could warm up some more. I think the other coach thought I was out of pitchers and he might put us in a bind; little did he know that it was my #2 and #3 he was arguing about and my #1 came in and closed them out.

Apr 12, 2013
I know not too many of you play PONY but I am looking for a little help before asking our president and UIC.

If you switch your starting pitcher and another player say SS can the starter come back in whenever you want.

The rule that I understand is they can only come back once in that same inning but if you switched in say the 3rd and wanted SS to come back and pitch the 5th I was under the impression that this was 100% legal.

Granted this was just a sour coach who was on the losing end of a 13-5 game at their last at bats thinking he was going to come back on us since he loaded the bases and an umpire who was not sure about the rule so I just rotated another pitcher in and kept arguing so she could warm up some more. I think the other coach thought I was out of pitchers and he might put us in a bind; little did he know that it was my #2 and #3 he was arguing about and my #1 came in and closed them out.

a pitcher may be removed as a pitcher, moved to a different defensive position and return and return as a pitcher only once per inning provided the return as pitcher doesnt violate either the substututon or charged conference rule. your impression is correct

Mar 13, 2010
a pitcher may be removed as a pitcher, moved to a different defensive position and return and return as a pitcher only once per inning provided the return as pitcher doesnt violate either the substututon or charged conference rule. your impression is correct
PONY 4.3 Note

PONY 4.3 Note

I think I understand the note means you can't switch your pitcher and another defensive player more than once per inning but they were trying to argue that it meant your could ONLY bring her back in to pitch in the same inning and that if you switch her with another defensive player in the 3rd that I could not switch them back again in the 5th.

Mar 2, 2013
I think I understand the note means you can't switch your pitcher and another defensive player more than once per inning but they were trying to argue that it meant your could ONLY bring her back in to pitch in the same inning and that if you switch her with another defensive player in the 3rd that I could not switch them back again in the 5th.

They either don't know the rule or have some problem with reading comprehension. What you proposed is completely permissible.

Thanks, this is only my second year under this rule set so I was not 100% sure only 99%. I know I've done it before and seen it done many times.

I'll bring it up with our president and UIC, just wanted to make sure I was understanding everything correctly.

Mar 13, 2010
Thanks, this is only my second year under this rule set so I was not 100% sure only 99%. I know I've done it before and seen it done many times.

I'll bring it up with our president and UIC, just wanted to make sure I was understanding everything correctly.

Pg. 25 in the 2013 PONY Rule Book.

As Umpire pointed out......you understand the rule just fine.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
The other part of this rule is that in any given inning, a new pitcher must face a batter before they can be replaced, ie the batter must make an out or reach first, before the previous pitcher can be brought back to finish the same inning she started.

Mar 13, 2010
The other part of this rule is that in any given inning, a new pitcher must face a batter before they can be replaced, ie the batter must make an out or reach first,[complete her turn at bat OR THE SIDE HAS BEEN RETIRED] before the previous pitcher can be brought back to finish the same inning she started.

Red portion is the correct wording of the PONY rule (4.3 Note).