Please help with swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Eric Baquol

TerpPride
Aug 15, 2015
tumblr_nt6nb1tm7t1usf292o1_540.gif

tumblr_nt6np4dWEG1usf292o1_540.gif

Good swing. Could it get/be better of course. It wouldn't be the technical hitting forum if I didn't say that.
I see Shift THEN Swing.....I would like to see Shift AND Swing.

Again JMHO.

Safe to assume that if the timing gets better between her weight shift and swing that the ball exit speed would be improved? I appreciate the feedback.

Oct 25, 2009
She is loading on top of the rear foot instead of on the inside of the rear foot. This prevents the lower half momentum into the swing. Her front leg in this case is an accomplice that helps her swing from a non-momentum swing. IOW, she swings from what effectively ends up as a straight up, arms only swing.

She is also not maintaining her coil (FBC). Try to keep the front knee as close to her centerline as possible when striding. Lead with the butt, not the knee or foot, as long as possible. Just do it, the foot will touch down when it has to. It will just happen. FBC.

Eric Baquol

TerpPride
Aug 15, 2015
Full speed swing:

How does your DD do on change ups?

She adjusts OK. She definitely gets out on her front foot if the speed difference is fairly good. It's for sure something her and I need to work on. I've tried to reinforce keeping the hands back until she knows for sure she's swinging.

Eric Baquol

TerpPride
Aug 15, 2015
She is loading on top of the rear foot instead of on the inside of the rear foot. This prevents the lower half momentum into the swing. Her front leg in this case is an accomplice that helps her swing from a non-momentum swing. IOW, she swings from what effectively ends up as a straight up, arms only swing.

She is also not maintaining her coil (FBC). Try to keep the front knee as close to her centerline as possible when striding. Lead with the butt, not the knee or foot, as long as possible. Just do it, the foot will touch down when it has to. It will just happen. FBC.

Are there any drills to help with reinforcing the FBC? Or is it just constant repetition?

Oct 25, 2009
Are there any drills to help with reinforcing the FBC? Or is it just constant repetition?

There is a lot of info on here by the experts discussing FBC. It would be smart to read those for the understanding of FBC. You would be able to see your own opportunities to create drills.

The one I use the most is the kick stride drill. With that drill you simply exaggerate the lead knee coming back near hip high across the rear knee and then trying to hold it near there until toe touch. Try to hover the front foot, putting it down on demand (or not) at the very last second.

Also, at (through) poc there should not be any weight on the back foot. Get the butt into the swing. That's the real source of power!

Study Miguel Cabrera clips! Watch the rear foot!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1