Please help define jewelry. . .

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
Interesting ruling on the field yesterday at an ASA State Tournament.

A couple of the players are wearing the Under Armour Sweat Bands that are worn on the upper arm. Umpire rules that players cannot wear them.

Next game, team is wearing those paper bracelets that were handed out to players for entry into the tournament. A few are even wearing them on their throwing arms at the wrist. The bracelets, even though they have a slight pattern on them are very close to the color of the ball. The are also being worn rather lose.

The pitcher was wearing it on her pitching wrist. . .:rolleyes: Same umpire allows them.

So what is the definition of jewelry?

May 7, 2008
Tucson
When going out for the evening in Shelbyville, IL. I often don a paper bracelet from the water park and coordinate my outfit with white sweat bands.

Seriously, how can a sweat band hurt anyone? Now, those paper bands that take a pair of scissors to get off, I suppose someone could catch a finger under them. The last ASA seniors tournament that I played in required us to remove the paper bracelets. I have never seen anyone required to remove a sweat band.

Jul 26, 2010
I have girls called to remove hair bands from their wrists all the time. They take them off to get their batting helmet on typically, and put them around their wrist, but this is illegal in ASA and USSSA play. Paper bracelets should not be legal according to the rules. I've never heard of sweat bands being considered jewelery, however. Phiten type bracelets are considered jewelery.

It's frustrating, but I guess it's the only way to avoid having 10 pages of rules defining what isn't and isn't jewelery.

-W

Jun 22, 2010
When going out for the evening in Shelbyville, IL. I often don a paper bracelet from the water park and coordinate my outfit with white sweat bands.
You're overdressed for Shelbyville . . . :D (I'm in Springfield.)

ASA doesn't prohibit all jewelry; it prohibits "exposed jewelry which is judged by the umpire to be dangerous." That gives the individual umpire a lot of leeway; more than I'd really like to have, actually. Sweat bands? Not dangerous in my opinion. Paper bands . . . are they really paper, or the really strong ones they use in hospitals? Any metal clips holding them on? They would annoy me, but I guess I'd have to see them to determine if they're dangerous or not.

I could see where the paper things could be distracting on the pitching hand, and illegal under 6-6-B.

Jan 24, 2011
Texas
It is in our discretion as an umpire as honus14 mentioned. Based on OP's description here, I wouldn't have had them removed.

Funny thing about those paper/plastic bands, at nearly ALL of the college look/premier tourney's they issue these things with different colors to denote graduating year, etc. We just got back from the Sparkler and my daughter wore one that designated she was already recruited, it was all black, strong as a brick craphouse, and even had the heavy duty plastic snap on clasp. It's worse than just about every other kind of jewelry because its built to stay on for a while, they wore theirs the whole week.

After going through several of these with my daughter, I'm flexible on most things that aren't actual jewelry as I'm calling games(Gold, silver, etc)

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Honus, I lived in Springfield for at least 30 years. I coached softball at Springfield College and Lincoln Land. Small world.

What is jewelry? Would your wife want it for Valentine's Day? If you answer no, then it isn't jewelry.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Honus, I lived in Springfield for at least 30 years. I coached softball at Springfield College and Lincoln Land. Small world.

What is jewelry? Would your wife want it for Valentine's Day? If you answer no, then it isn't jewelry.

For Mother's day I got my wife new faucets for the bathroom. Can I consider them jewelry?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207