Playing up?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2010
Wow, I'm really enjoying the discussions on this board - especially the one about height. So here's a discussion question.

My daughter just turned 12 last week, and she qualifies for the coming year as a U12 player/pitcher. Because of the lack of strong pitchers at the older level, we have been told that she may be asked to pitch at the U14 level with the softball association that she tried out to play for. A friend of mine said under no circumstances should we let them move her up to the next level. This friend argues that moving up a 12 year old, who is pitching very strongly at the U12 level, could ruin her confidence because she'll give up more hits to the older girls. They say it's better to keep her at the younger level and let her continue to grow there. However, I've heard others argue that playing up is good for a player's growth. Now I'm wondering what to do if we're asked.

I'm very interested to know what the rest of you think.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Depends on how much better the older players are, in my opinion. It's good to be challenged, but not overwhelmed. Some people think you should always play up if you have the chance. Others think you never should. I'm somewhere in between.

So my question back to you is if there is a big gap between your daughter and the girls she will be playing with. If it stretches her but she can hang in, it could be a good experience. If it stretches her 'til she snaps, not so much.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Are you talking rec or travel? Because many times, my Little League pitchers are moved up because they are the only ones that can pitch. Parents at the 12U level would complain that "the pitcher is too fast."

But, the girls were little physically and after having one DD forced to move up, the parents finally said "No, they are playing with their friends and in their age group."

What state are you in?

Oct 10, 2010
We're in the Midwest -Iowa/Illinois area, and this is a tournament traveling team, that is put together by an area association.

Dec 10, 2010
A, A
My daughter moved up to U14 when she was still U12 eligible. She played her first U12 year, then what would be her second U12 year, she played up to U14. It did worry me a bit because she was on the team with....and facing from other teams.....some girls that were actually 15 or very nearly 15. She was only 12....that is a big gap. She held her own but her pitching did get hit pretty well.

If I had to do it over again, I would have kept her down.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
OK. Knowing the area, I think that I would have her stay down this year. I would let her get experience and learn the game a little more, before moving up - which she will have to do, anyway.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
When I was growing up, I played a lot of basketball. One court for "little kids", and one court was for the "big kids". I can still remember how thrilled I was when someone called over to the little kids court and said, "Hey, Ray, we need another player."

So, you need to think about:

(1) How good is she compared to other girls at her age. If she is going to strike out 21 batters in a row, then there is no real point in her pitching at 12U. If she is going to get mauled, then there is no point in her playing 14U.
(2) How mature she is--both physically and emotionally. You need to take a good look at your DD and ask yourself, "Is she physically turning into a woman?" Because, if she is, then it is probably time for her to move up.
(3) Whether the coach is going to pitch her. Coaches need a backup pitcher, and some really don't care if they lie in order to get one.
(4) There is a difference between 12U and 14U travel ball other than the level of play. IMHO, the jump from 12U to 14U is the single largest jump in quality. A lot of girls quit after 12U, so the girls that end up playing 14U are generally much better and much more dedicated. I've never seen a 12U team that could compete at 16U. I've seen 14U teams that could compete against 18U teams.
(5) Finally, what does your DD want to do?

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2009
When I was growing up, I played a lot of basketball. One court for "little kids", and one court was for the "big kids". I can still remember how thrilled I was when someone called over to the little kids court and said, "Hey, Ray, we need another player."

So, you need to think about:

(1) How good is she compared to other girls at her age. If she is going to strike out 21 batters in a row, then there is no real point in her pitching at 12U. If she is going to get mauled, then there is no point in her playing 14U.
(2) How mature she is--both physically and emotionally. You need to take a good look at your DD and ask yourself, "Is she physically turning into a woman?" Because, if she is, then it is probably time for her to move up.
(3) Whether the coach is going to pitch her. Coaches need a backup pitcher, and they really don't care if they lie in order to get one.
(4) There is a difference between 12U and 14U travel ball other than the level of play. IMHO, the jump from 12U to 14U is the single largest jump in quality. A lot of girls quit after 12U, so the girls that end up playing 14U are generally much better and much more dedicated. I've never seen a 12U team that could compete at 16U. I've seen 14U teams that could compete against 18U teams.
(5) Finally, what does your DD want to do?

Sluggers pretty well got everything, except the possibility of having to throw from 43 feet. Also around here most teams jump up to the next age group a couple times a year. Is she ready to pitch to 15, 16, or 17yr olds, or spend those whole tournaments setting on the bench?

Feb 6, 2009
I honestly think that playing both years at U12, especially as a pitcher, is the right thing to do. I think if she is that good, having a doninant year at U12 will really build confidence. Once they get done with U12, they may jump from U14 straight to U18 and physically most girls of that age can do it if they have the talent. That's not necessarily so at U12/ I would have her play both years (tha's what we did with my DD too)

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
My opinion is very simple. If the talent level is such that you are calling it "playing up" don't do it. But if she is really good than she is not playing up, she is just a little younger than the other players.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877