Player not getting signs

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Amy that is funny. She did bunt a few times and has some funny stories on how they gave her the sign. She has even slapped, but not left handed. Of course I think Mike was a little gun shy after she almost took his head off at third in one game.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
Could be like a student taking atest, they know all the answers, but can't remember their name when the test starts. She sees the sign, knows the sign, but forgets what it was when she steps in the batters box and looks at the pitcher. We teach girls to block out everything and focus on the ball while hitting and maybe she is very good at it.

Try teaching her to relax and get comfortable. It could be just nerves and preasure.

Oct 19, 2009
I was always bad at signs.

11 year olds are given choices of bunts? At that level unnecessary. Make all sacrifice--one type of bunt and have a dedicated slapper or two from the left side that you concentrate on as individuals.

We play a competitive travel schedule, they are expected to straight bunt 3b or 1b, drag either side, fake and drag, fake, slash, and some even slap. Don't sell 11YOs short, they pull it off.

Nov 29, 2009
We play a competitive travel schedule, they are expected to straight bunt 3b or 1b, drag either side, fake and drag, fake, slash, and some even slap. Don't sell 11YOs short, they pull it off.

I completely agree with you. I've had 10's doing those types of bunts for years. If you think a normal 10U/12U player can't do those type of bunts the coach is selling their self short or doesn't have the knowledge needed to teach the kids how to do them.

Heck... I had a couple of 10's who were pretty proficient at one-handed drag bunts. It was always fun to watch the defense reaction the first time they did it.

Jan 15, 2009
We had a player that was missing signs too often. I made her watch the game next to me on the fence in the dugout and tell me the sign given to every batter, every pitch. Not sure if it was the repetition or the desire to avoid repeating the embarassment of standing next to me call them out, but it worked.

Oct 19, 2009
We had a player that was missing signs too often. I made her watch the game next to me on the fence in the dugout and tell me the sign given to every batter, every pitch. Not sure if it was the repetition or the desire to avoid repeating the embarassment of standing next to me call them out, but it worked.

Excellent suggestion! Thanks, that was the kind of input I was looking for. I will give it a try.

Jan 20, 2010
We had a girl last year with a learning disability and she would struggle with signs that had a sequence. For example hat was fake and belt was bunt so hat to belt was fake bunt....she would miss those types of signs almost every time.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Ask any girl on the team the words to any top 10 songs... yup they know them. Signs are no different - learn them!!! This year I'm actually going to wristbands for both offensive and defensive plays... No more signs.. just a number system.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texas Red