Player Eligibility

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 14, 2011
Hi All-

My daughter committed to an All Star "continuation team" this Fall instead of playing in traditional fall ball. After making the commitment, however, we decided to try a travel ball team where we realized was the better fit. Because of the original commitment, we told the A/S team coach that she would not be available for practices/scrimmages, however if he wanted her to play in the three tournaments that were scheduled, she would. As a parent, I've always hated players that did this, but I left it up to the coach.

Today, somebody told me that if the A/S team was competing in travel ball tournaments (ASA), she wouldn't be eligible to play on both teams. Is this true? I thought that after nationals, you were now free to try out other teams...

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
In the Softball Rules Questions section there is a whole thread on this very question under the heading "WHAT IS THE RULE?" It was the last thread on page 1 but may have moved since I read it lasy.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Hi All-

My daughter committed to an All Star "continuation team" this Fall instead of playing in traditional fall ball. After making the commitment, however, we decided to try a travel ball team where we realized was the better fit. Because of the original commitment, we told the A/S team coach that she would not be available for practices/scrimmages, however if he wanted her to play in the three tournaments that were scheduled, she would. As a parent, I've always hated players that did this, but I left it up to the coach.

Today, somebody told me that if the A/S team was competing in travel ball tournaments (ASA), she wouldn't be eligible to play on both teams. Is this true? I thought that after nationals, you were now free to try out other teams...

Its always left up to the coach, but you still hated players that did it. Stand up for what you believe in and have your dd play one or the other. And then your potential problem goes away.

Nov 29, 2009
In ASA your daughter can be rostered on one team per age level. However, when it comes to championship play (National Qualifier) She is bound to the higher age level team. Here is a link to the ASA Code on line. Amateur Softball Association of America (ASA)

If the teams are playing tournaments under different sanctioning bodies then you don't have to worry about it. The only time there's trouble is if both teams are playing ASA, NSA, USSSA or one of the other alphabets out there.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
In ASA your daughter can be rostered on one team per age level. However, when it comes to championship play (National Qualifier) She is bound to the higher age level team. Here is a link to the ASA Code on line. Amateur Softball Association of America (ASA)

Speaking ASA

A player can be on as many rosters as she wants. I wouldn't suggest it, but happens often in the SP game.

However, once she participates in Championship Play that is the roster to which she is committed regardless of whether it was the higher age level or not assuming she is eligible for that team/classification.

Feb 3, 2011
What's the fall equivalent of Championship Play?

AngelsFan01, I don't know the context of your conversation or to whom you were speaking, but most or at least many tournament directors do not want players on multiple rosters at their tournaments. What a player did last weekend or who they plan to play for next weekend doesn't matter at all. When she shows up to Tournament ABCD, player can be on only 1 roster in that tournament.

We've got a lot of players on 'All-Star continuation teams' which are generally classified as 'B' teams for the fall tournament season and then these same players are also on ASA 'A' teams which are playing some fall tournaments as well. The 'B' teams will break up after the fall season and the players will return to rec or go find TB teams in January or both, while the 'A' teams will remain together.

That's how things go in NorCal.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
What's the fall equivalent of Championship Play?

Well, in the past, I have heard of local associations guaranteeing berths to regionals/zones/territorials/nationals the following season through a fall/winter tournament. This may no longer be the case, but if it were, this would qualify as Championship Play. To the best of my knowledge, the only time an exemption to this takes place is the HOF qualifiers where the berth is to the tournament the following seasons

Apr 14, 2011
Thanks for the info...I really saw it the way Momo'sDad sees it...our A/S team is a B league, while TB is A, of course. The two teams are actually scheduled to play in the same tournament later this month, however DD is only playing with the TB team, so she won't be on the A/S team's roster.

This might be a moot point...our situation might be changing soon with the A/S team!

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
My daughter committed to an All Star "continuation team" this Fall instead of playing in traditional fall ball

This topic has been discussed many times over on this site. You committed to a team for the fall. You found a stronger team that you want your DD to play for. You are trying to get approval for leaving the first team. Just do the All Star team a favor and tell them you are not going to follow through on your commitment. That way thay can try and get a player to fill the roster spot. Trying to play both will only cause harder feelings. Your decision is already made, why prolong it?

Apr 14, 2011
Actually, joemcq51, that's exactly the reason we were prolonging this...The team has been trying to find somebody else to fill her spot, however they haven't been able to fill it...we were hoping that they'd be able to find another girl to fill in and they just wouldn't need her But they are doing their next tourney without my DD, so if they can do one, they can do three!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32