Placement in the box

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2012
Again, I do not understand coaches that teach this method and since my younger one has been told to do this, she is striking out more this year than she has been in the past 4 yrs. I just tell her, to get to her spot and stay there, unless they tell you to move up or back in the box. But, if they say get closer to the plate, don't move. She even questioned why they would tell them to do that.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Again, I do not understand coaches that teach this method and since my younger one has been told to do this, she is striking out more this year than she has been in the past 4 yrs. I just tell her, to get to her spot and stay there, unless they tell you to move up or back in the box. But, if they say get closer to the plate, don't move. She even questioned why they would tell them to do that.

I'm not siding w/ the coach here, but wouldn't it be better to ask the coach why he employs this strategy rather than to tell your daughter to ignore a direct command? You've stated that you don't understand his thinking. Why not ask? Why not have your daughter ask? You want her to be assertive, not passive-aggressive, right?

May 7, 2012
I'm not siding w/ the coach here, but wouldn't it be better to ask the coach why he employs this strategy rather than to tell your daughter to ignore a direct command? You've stated that you don't understand his thinking. Why not ask? Why not have your daughter ask? You want her to be assertive, not passive-aggressive, right?

I would, but, however, the coach has told all the parents, that he is not to be asked questions or have the girls even spoken to or coached from the stands. He does not take criticism very well and from what I have heard and seen, if questioned, it reflects on the girls.

I would, but, however, the coach has told all the parents, that he is not to be asked questions or have the girls even spoken to or coached from the stands. He does not take criticism very well and from what I have heard and seen, if questioned, it reflects on the girls.

I don't think he was talking about coaching from the stands...I think he meant either after game or preferably before or after practice. During game just have your DD stay where you have taught her, you have to make 100% sure she is standing correctly no matter how much coaching they get I am here to tell you a LOT of girls take a little half step back especially if the girl throws hard, if the coach asks why she did not move up simply have her respond with "my hitting coach has told me where to stand in the box". then when coach approaches you about who her hitting coach is you can respond with "how may I help you"

Feb 17, 2013

I agree with DC, but I would also add, if the coach is as you describe, why would you let your DD play for him. Yes, at a tournament is not the place to confront a coach, but you making it sound liek this guy will not talk to parents at all.

Mar 6, 2009
These girls are all 2nd yr 10u TB. And he tells them all to get closer. They all have hitting coaches and they hesitate when he says to get closer. But, I have also seen the league that a lot of these girls played All-Stars in and they teach the same thing. As for up and back in the box, I teach my girls like most in those situations. But, not on the line.

As for the swing, bunt, swing. He has done this with 2 outs and the slowest runner at bat as well, as the fastest and the best hitter, not sure.

SBFamily, yes, please send the Bustos info.

Well, a simple way to figure out where a kid should stand would be to take a machine, set it up to hit 3-4 inches off the outside part of the plate and determine, can they or can they not hit the ball from where they would like to stand. I found at those younger levels that the girls in fact to cover the plate properly did need to be fairly close to the plate. I am not sure if it was a physical size thing and it has changed as my team has aged. So before throwing the coach under the bus, maybe run it through a couple of trials to figure out if he/she is right. My guess is he is fairly accurate (IMHO).

Bill

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I do not teach my students to move around in the box, from pitcher to pitcher. We measure across the plate, with their bat and that is where their front foot goes. (The bat is on the ground.)

We don't change bats, choke up or anything else. Wouldn't MLB players look ridiculous moving around, up and back, towards the plate, and changing bats? Just teach the girls to hit.

My pitchers love to hear a coach yell, "Scoot back in the box." They might as well yell "because I know you can't hit."

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi