Placement in the box

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I do not teach my students to move around in the box, from pitcher to pitcher. We measure across the plate, with their bat and that is where their front foot goes. (The bat is on the ground.)

We don't change bats, choke up or anything else. Wouldn't MLB players look ridiculous moving around, up and back, towards the plate, and changing bats? Just teach the girls to hit.

My pitchers love to hear a coach yell, "Scoot back in the box." They might as well yell "because I know you can't hit."
Rod Carew changed stances and position in the box as well as changed bats based on the pitcher

Nov 21, 2012
New England
One method that I have seen posted which seems reasonable is to lay your bat down so the end of the bat just touches the back outside corner of the square part of the plate and then place your front foot where the knob is. Feels a tad tight to me, but a good place to start for a neutral stance.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
We are talking 10U and 12U , not MLB players on this post. Moving around would not be an option. When kids get older with more talent they can time the pitcher up and can bait her to throw and inside or outside pitch. You move a kid around before that you are messing with what timing and could destroy her swing. Have them do the Bonds drill to work on moving first. ( Bonds drill keep moving toward the pitching machine till you can no longer hit the ball. Plus move inside and outside doing the same drill.)

Oct 16, 2008
SE Michigan
My $.02...a substantial number of players pull off the ball with their front shoulder or don't finish with their front arm properly causing early wrist roll...these hitters often can smash inside pitches to the pull field...although often foul.....but cannot hit an outside or off speed pitch. In other words, these hitters do not have quality "inside the ball" mechanics. I think some team coaches try to make the best of it by having the players crowd the plate to make everything look like an inside pitch but it is not a one size fits all solution...even in the short term.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
You are correct many young kids cast and roll the wrists, making it very difficult to hit an outside pitch. Then you ask them who taught you that swing, and you hear "Dad told me to take my hands to the ball".

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877