Pitching what do you see?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 19, 2013
I would agree that an overhaul may not be necessary but they need to be informed. It's possible she has 65 in her arm but poor mechanics are limiting her.

It's not that you can't pitch with hello elbow (not saying she is) but it's that you are limiting your potential and putting yourself at risk of injury.

I'm agreeing with you. I was disagreeing with the post that said "Yes it's wrong, but your daughter's not doing it". I was saying yes she IS doing more of it than she should if you go back to the original gifs or her pushing the ball down the back of the circle, as well as the wasted pasted on follow through. At 14 I for sure would work on some stuff from the lower half and the arm position in the circle - why the heck not, she's got time. But all that being said I'd like to teach my DD some of this if she'd go from 54 to 61 ;)

Aug 19, 2013
Thanks guys, I need time to take all this in. Might be back with questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Where in her pitching motion with her foot parallel to the PP, is she supposed to push off with the side of her foot? Drills are often counter productive. You may want to post a video of her doing some walk-throughs.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
As the arm rotates back towards 2B (3 O'Clock), notice how the palm is facing towards 1B. Big improvement over getting on top of the ball as was shown earlier.

While it is true that what is shown is an improvement over the first video, are they really related? Has she improved or is it possible she does something different in a drill than what she does in her full motion?

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
While it is true that what is shown is an improvement over the first video, are they really related? Has she improved or is it possible she does something different in a drill than what she does in her full motion?

Improved? Perhaps not ... but she's doing something much more appropriate here.

One of the check marks Mike White would often give was for the palm of a right-handed pitcher to be facing towards third-base (... first-base for a left-handed pitcher) 90-degrees after the K-position.

Those that have a heavy dose of HE training often do as this girl was doing in her full pitching motion and get on top of the ball at this point (... i.e., palm facing towards the ground).

Aug 19, 2013
Riseball, it's fair to say that she does it different in drills but this was explained to her and shown to her before the drill was started so she know what the issues were and what she was trying to fix.
You guys have really helped.
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bmd

Jan 9, 2015
Dd used to have the exact same problem except she did not correct at 9 and just pushed the ball with zero whip. She went through a complete breakdown and rebuild. It was hard and very frustrating for her but very necessary. At around 10 sometimes she will turn Palm and correct /reload at around 9/8. When this creeps back up we do sudden stops and she looks at arm and hand position. Lots of Java reach back to nine and whip drills are very helpful too. Also I thimk reloading and a slower arm circle can be connected. Hitting 60 is quite an accomplishment! For some it never happens. She obviously is athletic and with fine tuning could be awesome. Please continue to let us know of her improvements. Good luck!

ez_softball

Life at the diamond...
Apr 14, 2017
Again, I have to stress that if I was her coach I would start with her lower half. The way she's running the K-drill only reinforces her less than ideal lower half mechanics. I have my players run K-drill much differently in an attempt to avoid the "sideways" drive mechanics that plague many pitchers.

With that being said, her upper half does look better... still not perfect but it's all about baby steps. If you stay focused on the upper then I would continue working on "ball up" @ 3 and try to get her to stay taller at release. It appears to me that her arm is away from her body at the whip/release. In other words, she is bent at the waist at release. Also, if it were me I would have her lose the follow-thru HE.

HTH and you're on the right path.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00