pitching to slap hitters

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 30, 2009
DD is 12U & has FB,CU, DB & SB. her SB is pretty good . what is the best pitch to throw to a Slapper

Dec 28, 2008
Wow that is trick question if I've ever seen one. There is no mold to which all Slappers fall into and every pitch to every slapper may be in a different situation than it was the player/inning before, thereby there can't be a best pitch to throw to them.

However, here is what my advice would be:
1. Most un-trained, un-disciplined slappers have a tendency to pull away from the plate and start towards the first base line before connecting with the pitch. So if you you pitch them low and outside it is VERY VERY VERY hard for them to even have a chance to connect with the pitch. A Screw Ball that looks like it will be inside, encouraging them to follow their pattern of pulling away, and then drop outside which would be tough to connect with. Keeping in mind that DD will have to adjust to the fact that the player will be 3-4 feet in front of where she is starting from when she actually is going to make contact. So she may need to adjust where she starts the pitch at and where it will move to.

2. Most un-trained, un-disciplined slapers have a tendency to try and spring from their starting position way to quickly so throwing a change up to them is VERY difficult for them to react to because they will usually connect with it in front of the box and then they are out. If you play on fields where they use pathetic batters box lines that are smaller than what they are supposed to be that just makes it even more effective. Not implying that the dads/moms out there that are working at tournaments just to earn money for their DD's team don't have a clue what the batters box should actually be or anything. ;)

3. Another important aspect is to pitch to your defenses strengths or try and avoid their weaknesses.

4. Now lets assume you are playing serious A ball, with very highly trained players on both sides of the field. Then you jump to ... All players on either side of the plate are unique and have strengths and weaknesses. So my best advice is not to think in general terms like "slappers" when you are at that level but instead study your actual key opponents. Think in terms of #12 on the Cobras, #17 on the Ridge Runners etc. Keep a notebook and start studying those players every chance you have. Come up with a plan. #12 on the Cobras seems to pull away, I'm going to try and go low and away. #17 seems to be afraid of the inside pitch I'm going to try and bust her in. #32 seems to explode way to fast I'm going to try and set her up and then give her a change up. Etc. Start a notebook, stack of index cards or whatever you want now. Continue to add to the collection as your information grows on those players. Because odds are strong she'll see those same girls for another 10 years. Document what you "study" in games. Come up with a plan. Measure the effectiveness of the plan. Adjust the plan as needed. Adjust your data as the opposing player improves in 1 area, or declines in another. I realize that means that you and DD can't just goof off anymore at tournaments in between games, you can't just sit and talk while watching other games you have to .. gulp .. study the other games and then do homework. (Sure hope you don't live in GA and use this against my slappers.)

Mar 30, 2009
thanks, no i live in Louisiana and she plays USFA tournament ball. we started taking notes this month on the teams in the last tournament and it helped alot. thanks for the info

Sep 3, 2009
Sure, the inexperienced slappers wander towards 1b (low and out), and those that have a sprinting style (change); but what about slappers with a deliberate style?

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
I have lost count the number of times my dd has been hit in the helment. So I know how they pitch her. She takes a change up and drags it down the first base line, so she only gets that pitch once. druer's post is pretty good. Keep in mind a good slapper can do more than just slap. Most can hit for power or power slap, along with slap and bunt. So pick your poision. When they get on base they create havoc with speed.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00