Pitching to a team of bunters...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2009
I have seen where if a team has trouble hitting a pitcher they begin bunting. Even heard a coach last week say, if I have to bunt everyone to win Ill do it. Besides having a good fielding defense against the bunt is there any pitching strategy when a team begins bunting? Ive hear get the ball up and get them to pop up? Anyone have any experience with bunters?

Thanks

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The basic plan is to pitch them up in the strike zone and hope they pop up. Generally, pitchers like to go with riseballs to a batter who is bunting. The problem, of course, is that if the batters have been properly taught, they will take the high pitches. The other strategy is to pitch them inside. Against a well-trained hitter, a pitcher's chance of getting a pop-up or a strike out is perhaps one out of ten.

The batters will put the ball down. So, your girls have to be ready to play some good D. It isn't just bunt coverage--it is the way you handle steals.

Of course, you get ahead by 4 or more runs, and bunting isn't going to help the other team.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
My catchers and I had an understanding; If the batter turned to bunt they were getting high and inside. It did not matter what the situation was or what the catcher just asked for, high and inside was coming. If they had the guts to turn and bunt on me, they would get one on the fingers, pop up or the bat would hit the ball as they pulled back and bailed.

CT-TEXAS.COM

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
When a bunter squares, 2 things happen on my team.
#1. The corners collapse to the plate, if batter squares early they are on top of her.
#2. My pitcher fires it high and tight to give the batter something to think about next time
she squares.

Mar 13, 2010
#1. The corners collapse to the plate, if batter squares early they are on top of her.

I forgot this. It shocked me when I played over here, that when people bunt NO-ONE runs at the batter. That is just something I've always seen as so, so basic. (it was hysterical though, it was a girl from was also from NSW and we both did it and the batter freaked out something shocking, trying to scream that it wasn't allowed)

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The only thing that works consistently work against a well-coached short game team is good defense.

(1) You can only throw high and inside 4 times to a batter.
(2) The batters have been taught how to get hit by a pitch.
(3) The girls will be wearing protective gear.

I'm sure what Hal did worked at his level of play--but he was throwing 75+ mph to a bunch of macho men who weren't wearing face guards and had a wife and family to go home to .

Put a face guard on a kid, teach them how to turn into the ball, and they will be happy to stand up there and get hit by 50 MPH fastballs all day.

Mar 13, 2010
Really? I'd think there would be very few teenage girls who are prepared to take a 50mph fastball to any part of their body. They wouldn't be upset if it happened, but willingly doing so? Delibratly? No, I flat out don't believe it. (says the girl who had to go buy a new formal dress because of the bruise on her calf from a slap the week before formal. Knee length didn't work so well with bruises)

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
I forgot this. It shocked me when I played over here, that when people bunt NO-ONE runs at the batter. That is just something I've always seen as so, so basic. (it was hysterical though, it was a girl from was also from NSW and we both did it and the batter freaked out something shocking, trying to scream that it wasn't allowed)

Have you never seen a batter turn to bun t, 1st and 3rd come in close AS the batter turns again and either slaps or takes a full swing AS the nasemen are back tracking? I have seen a few 3rd basemen take a line drive to the chest and remember one 14u girl thaty took a line drive to her left kneecap that knocked it to the side of her knee. Ambulance to the hospital and she was back walking with crutches in 3 hours. Fortunately, no permanent damege.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
They wouldn't be upset if it happened, but willingly doing so? Delibratly? No, I flat out don't believe it.

Perhaps you should get out more. I've had girls comparing bruises to see which one was prettier. ("Oh, isn't this a lovey shade of blue!")

Training and equipment is everything. If a kid wears a face guard and a little padding, and she has been taught to turn away from inside pitches, she will happily take a pass to 1B.

And, as a coach, if I figure out you that you've told your pitcher to throw inside and high every time you see a bunt, we'll be bunting on every pitch.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse