Pitching styles

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 1, 2011
Let me ask a question from an inexperienced point of view since my DD is only 8 and I'm just now trying to learn. The girl in the picture has her glove pointed upwards at about 45° or more and her shoulders aren't open. Shouldn't the shoulders and hips be parallel and the glove pointed towards the catcher?

Jul 26, 2010
There's nothing in that pitcher that I would recommend to a kid learning how to pitch, other then that there is a lesson to be learned in being able to get far doing things very wrong.

As to the glove, I like the kids to hold it a bit higher then parallel to the ground, as they will get lazy and drop it a bit no matter what. Like throwing overhand, you're really looking at the elbow more then the glove as this gives you a better indication on which way the body is actually going.

-W

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2009
Bill when you look at her picture, you see the hips are going one and the shoulders another--try to imagine what the spine is doing, especially the lower back.
You do want to keep the hips and shoulders aligned.

And I also like the glove to be slightly higher than the shoulders. Kids do get lazy and don't like to work the glove side but it's equally important, getting the glove up also helps them get their front side up and weight back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunny 321commission