Pitching Strategy - Alternate in Game?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 28, 2020
Background: We are a 12U team and have two pitchers, who are very similar in speed. One is a righty, one is a lefty. The lefty is a bit lankier and has more deceptive speed. The righty has better control and hits her spots better. Both are great position players as well, and like playing in the field when they aren't pitching.

What is everyone's thought about alternating pitchers in games, specifically as one pitcher gets through the lineup once? In my mind, switching pitchers mid game would really mess with the batters, especially since you'd be switching to a different handed pitcher. Traditional practice is to play one pitcher until she struggles, and that's what we've been doing. I'm wondering why not take advantage of the being able to swap freely, and not let the batters get our pitchers figured out? Has anyone tried this, and what were the results? Thanks!

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Background: We are a 12U team and have two pitchers, who are very similar in speed. One is a righty, one is a lefty. The lefty is a bit lankier and has more deceptive speed. The righty has better control and hits her spots better. Both are great position players as well, and like playing in the field when they aren't pitching.

What is everyone's thought about alternating pitchers in games, specifically as one pitcher gets through the lineup once? In my mind, switching pitchers mid game would really mess with the batters, especially since you'd be switching to a different handed pitcher. Traditional practice is to play one pitcher until she struggles, and that's what we've been doing. I'm wondering why not take advantage of the being able to swap freely, and not let the batters get our pitchers figured out? Has anyone tried this, and what were the results? Thanks!
That pitcher switch can work both ways. Meaning while the other team's hitters struggle with one pitcher because of those particulars, they may enjoy rip city with the other because those particulars are more in line with what they're used to.

Sep 19, 2018
I don't think you are going to gain a huge advantage. You are not talking about MLB hitters being able to learn that quickly. And frankly, you are talking about 12u pitchers that don't have a MLB repertoire to confuse hitters. maybe most importantly, lets your 12u pitchers learn how to pitch. Teach them to remember hitters and the last outcome. Then plan how to attack them this at bat.

May 17, 2012
You aren't going to, "mess with the batters"...you are overestimating your coaching influence on the game.

The real issue is what are you going to do if one of your pitchers struggles during her turn? You are going to have to eat the runs or make yet another pitching change.

You also shouldn't be leaving a pitcher in until she struggles. Have a game load plan in place and stick with it regardless of the score of the game.

Do your team a favor and develop a third pitcher that can eat some innings.

Jun 27, 2021
Sounds like your RHP is your #1 and the LHP is #2 based on one hitting spots. Unless you’re playing 7 innings games just go out and play and both should be ready at all times with a 3rd there to eat up innings when needed. Early day off the field if both have a bad day, and at
12U you never know inning you inning how it’s going to go still.

Jan 24, 2020
Used to do that in 10U Rec Ball where the pitchers had an innings limit and we had a clear #1 that we wanted to both start and finish the game. In that case the rules set almost mandates this type of action. However, without those limiting rules, having pitchers repeatedly warm up and cool off their pitching arms seems to be a recipe for trouble. Maybe the starter comes back in if the #2 is really having a rough go of it, but planning on switching them back and forth smacks of overcoaching. Had it done against us recently in a 14U friendly where the slower pitcher pitched to the top of the lineup and the faster to the bottom, didn't noticeably impact the game.

Oct 4, 2018
You can try, and sometimes it'll make you look like a genius. Sometimes it will make you look like an idiot.

Jun 4, 2019
The only times I’ve seen it work is when you start with a slow pitcher and get lucky screwing up the hitters. Then bring in a faster pitcher next time up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee