Pitching speeds?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 14, 2011
I am curious to know what to expect for pitching speeds. I know that speed isn't the only factor that a pitcher needs to work on, but what are the ideal numbers for each age? Our pitching coach put my DD on the gun last week and curious to see where it is in comparison.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
How old is she? How tall? How long has she been taking lessons?

For instance, I had a 2nd year, rec student this morning. She only pitches during the season and only takes lessons during the season. She hit one 46, this morning and cruised at 42.

Nov 14, 2011
She is 13 years old, been pitching for 2 years and is 5'2". She was clocked at 52 with a Jugs gun. Our instructor feels that is a good number but I was curious to know what you guys thought.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Is this cruising speed or one time max?

If it is crusing speed, then your DD is about average for a TB pitcher. The good TB pitchers are throwing 55MPH at 13YOA, with the best hitting 60 MPH.

My advice is to post a video of her on the board. There is usually a way to squeeze a couple of more MPH out of her. She should be working a lot on breaking pitches and changing speeds.

May 18, 2009
She is 13 years old, been pitching for 2 years and is 5'2". She was clocked at 52 with a Jugs gun. Our instructor feels that is a good number but I was curious to know what you guys thought.
At thirteen my oldest DD was pitching around 47-51 for her average cruising speed. She would get some a little faster than that every now and then. I believe the average speed in high school is 55-56 for starting pitchers.

May 1, 2011
From the Fastpitching.com Link: 10U - Avg. Speed 38-42 - Top Speed 48-53 Low to Mid 50's is very rare.

Thank you very much. I was waiting for someone to prove that it IS POSSIBLE. Not common, but possible. I think the key statement in there also is a PLAYER THAT IS STILL ELIGIBLE TO PLAY AT THAT LEVEL. A girl playing as a second year 10 and is already 11, on a team that is out Trophy Hunting....that doesn't happen does it? :rolleyes:

May 18, 2009
From the Fastpitching.com Link: 10U - Avg. Speed 38-42 - Top Speed 48-53 Low to Mid 50's is very rare.

Thank you very much. I was waiting for someone to prove that it IS POSSIBLE. Not common, but possible. I think the key statement in there also is a PLAYER THAT IS STILL ELIGIBLE TO PLAY AT THAT LEVEL. A girl playing as a second year 10 and is already 11, on a team that is out Trophy Hunting....that doesn't happen does it? :rolleyes:

My DD is 8 and playing in 8u. She has speed, the balls break/curve to the outside of the plate when she's pitching. I've timed her with an app on my phone. Not sure if it's accurate but I've heard that balls won't break/curve until 42mph. Not sure if that's true either. My DD is tiny. She will be playing 8u again next year even though she throws like she does. It's not just age group, it's size, and maturity. An older 10 young 11 is still a child and if they are playing 12u they will be facing 13 yr olds. Some of those 13 yr olds are already maturing into woman hood. Keep them in the age bracket if you can, that's my belief anyway.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan