Pitching rule change

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 21, 2013
I hear more and more that people want to get rid of the "leaping and / or crow hop" rule. If you are of this opinion I would like to know your thoughts as to why. From my experience those that want to get rid of these rules either have a daughter or team with a pitcher that violates these rules.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
From my experience those that want to get rid of these rules either have a daughter or team with a pitcher that violates these rules.

Our umpires do not call anything, on either Team. So rule or no rule doesn't effect us either way.

I still do not like the replant, I wish they would call it.

Leapping I do not care one way or another.

(Stepping back off the plate then coming forward would be OK with me too.)

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Let them leap. Dumbing down the game will allow less athletic players to compete right along with the best of the best. Level the playing field. Athletes who work harder than others should not be allowed to succeed at the expense of those who don't.

They are leaping because the have crap mechanics. If they learn to pitch properly they won't leap!

The other part of the argument is that umpires can't effectively enforce the rule. That said, let's also do away with balls and strikes because umps certainly struggle with that.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Let them leap. Dumbing down the game will allow less athletic players to compete right along with the best of the best. Level the playing field. Athletes who work harder than others should not be allowed to succeed at the expense of those who don't.

They are leaping because the have crap mechanics. If they learn to pitch properly they won't leap!
Nicely said.

Nov 18, 2013
I didn't realize male pitchers all had crap mechanics.

I'd like to see womens pitching rules be consistent with the mens. This would allow leaping and eliminate the requirement for both toes to be on the rubber prior to the pitch. I believe USSSA and HS (here anyway) allows pitchers to have one foot on the rubber.

Crow hopping or replanting would still be illegal.

Jun 22, 2008

I'd like to see womens pitching rules be consistent with the mens. This would allow leaping and eliminate the requirement for both toes to be on the rubber prior to the pitch. I believe USSSA and HS (here anyway) allows pitchers to have one foot on the rubber.

USSSA used to allow the step back or only 1 foot on the pitching plate. I believe they changed the rule in 2012 or so. This is from the 2013 USSSA rule book. NFHS as far as I know is the lone rule set which still allows the step back or 1 foot on the pitching plate.

Sec 1. A legal pitch shall conform to the following:
A. Prior to the pitch, the pitcher shall have both feet in contact with the
pitcher's plate. Part of the pivot foot must be on top of the pitcher’s
plate.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL

You are comparing apples to oranges. Men are leaping because it is legal and it provides a competitive advantage. Women leap due to crap mechanics. It is a defect not an enhancement. Change the rules to allow women to leap and the elite pitchers will begin to leap to gain a competitive advantage. Then we can start the discussion for further rule changes since the hitters will be struggling and the game is all about pitching.

USSSA requires both feet on the rubber. NFHS allows one foot. This is not to provide a competitive advantage to the best pitchers, but rather to allow the others to be effective and throw with a bit more velocity.

Nov 18, 2013
USSSA used to allow the step back or only 1 foot on the pitching plate. I believe they changed the rule in 2012 or so. This is from the 2013 USSSA rule book. NFHS as far as I know is the lone rule set which still allows the step back or 1 foot on the pitching plate.

Sec 1. A legal pitch shall conform to the following:
A. Prior to the pitch, the pitcher shall have both feet in contact with the
pitcher's plate. Part of the pivot foot must be on top of the pitcher’s
plate.

ASA only requires the pitchers foot to be in contact with the plate and not on top of it. It's silly that each sanctioning body has their own variations.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877