Pitching Question? Need Help!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 30, 2010
I was recently informed that a young pitcher, 16, was having problems with her hand swelling. I was told that she throws about 60-62, but after about 5 innings, her hand starts to swell. She does not have any other issues with her arm, shoulder swelling or being in pain, and usually finishes the game. Has anyone ever heard of such a thing? Any help would be greatly appreciated!:confused:

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Swelling in the limbs can be due to any of several problems. Some of these conditions affect only one limb, or only the legs, while others may affect all the limbs at once. Examples of causes include congestive heart failure, lung disorders, such as pulmonary edema, problems in the veins of the leg, such as varicose veins or blood clots, also called deep venous thrombosis, liver failure, such as cirrhosis, kidney failure, such as chronic renal failure or acute renal failure, kidney disorders, such as nephrotic syndrome, hypothyroidism, tumors or cancer, infections, such as cellulitis, pregnancy, certain medications, such as nifedipine, estrogen or corticosteroids, low protein in the blood, called hypoalbuminemia, which may be due to malnutrition, kidney disease such as glomerulonephritis, or liver disease, such as hepatitis and trauma to the lymph drainage system of a limb, such as swelling in the arm after breast cancer surgery.

Don't you think the appropriate course of action is to get the girl to a doctor?

May 7, 2008
Tucson
This can be very serious. Kenzie Fowler about died from something similar.

She needs to be seen by a doctor immediately.

Apr 30, 2010
Thanks for the advice. I was asked about this yesterday afternoon, and my 1st thought was it could be a thin blood issue, and that her arm motion had the blood rush to her hand?? The only time her hand swells, is when she's pitching. I was just hoping to see if anyone had a similiar issue. A Dr. visit is definately gonna be recommended!

May 18, 2010
i had this problem last year i pitched half a game and my hand started to feel funny and when i looked at it it was all swollen. I thought this could have been because it was cold outside that day

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spinner55