pitching levels

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 12, 2013
Ive read alot of posts in here talking about level A pitchers, levelB pitchers, etc. What id like to know is what do you guys consider the different levels of pitchers? How do you rate them?

Sep 21, 2011
It comes from softball tournaments that have separate divisions for different levels of competition (A, B, C, etc.). So teams that compete in the "A" division sometimes call themselves A-level.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Check out some of the threads regarding pitching speed. They will usually give you speed ranges by age group. Movement pitches also become important at 14U and above. A-level pitchers will typically be the top 25% of pitchers, Low-A/High-B next 25%, Low-B next 25% and C bottom 25%.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Results matter. Athleticism, being a baller, learning from experience and playing smart can get you farther than a kid who's been to 5 years of professional lessons with perfect form.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
It is just general information, not a necessarily a rating system.

My 11 YO DD pitches rec., it doesn’t mean she isn’t better than some C pitchers. Might be as good as some B, probably not as good as most who pitch A level.

Some posters here have pitchers that pitch in nationals, saying my DD is in rec. let’s the posters know that that is not my DD.

Edit:

I have learned a poster saying their DD pitches for her school can mean anything. It can be a beginner to the player every team leaves a slot open hoping they magically show up one day and want to join your team.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2010
In your face
After 10u maybe 12u "A" level pitchers are actively recruited from previous performance. Very few have to tryout. They are usually what the team is built around. It's very hard to compete at the A level without an A level pitcher. She should have at least above average speed, and above average movement in her age group.

( Just my 2 cents ) An "A" level pitcher playing other true A level teams should have around these stats. ( seasonal stats, not a one weekend wonder ) Remember A level pitching will face A level hitting, if these stats look too easy........you're not playing tough enough competition.
at least .350-.500 WP, avg about 1K/IP, 2-3 BB per GP, give up about a statistical hit / IP, hold the opponents BA less than .350,

"A" usually play abroad, multi state or national events and still perform. Not that they have to win it all, but they must be able to handle the competition and not allow a blowout.

Dec 7, 2011
This is my decoder ring:

TB-A = Plays at all the bigger "national" tourneys and can compete at that level.
TB-B = Can be a very good HS pitcher still. Is fast enough and usually hits spots well, but usually has only one other pitch. Usually plays on a TB team that goes to tourneys mostly in their state and within a 100 mile radius, ...but would get hammered in any ASA A level state tourney.
TB-C = Average HS pitcher that can keep it in the strike zone but still has a challenge at the TB-B level.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
This is my decoder ring:

TB-A = Plays at all the bigger "national" tourneys and can compete at that level.
TB-B = Can be a very good HS pitcher still. Is fast enough and usually hits spots well, but usually has only one other pitch. Usually plays on a TB team that goes to tourneys mostly in their state and within a 100 mile radius, ...but would get hammered in any ASA A level state tourney.
TB-C = Average HS pitcher that can keep it in the strike zone but still has a challenge at the TB-B level.

Where does my rec. DD fall into?

Dec 7, 2011
Where does my rec. DD fall into?

To me, from what I see in my potentially unique frozen state of WI, :

TB-C = LL = "Rec"

This is all generalization of course. There are a few very good TB-B pitchers that are just in "B" because of the level of investment one needs to cover to be "national"..... Another way to put it is there are spend-heavy "posers" in "A" that should be in "B" and in some cases very capable "B" pitchers that you always wonder how good they might be against national level "A" batters.

Percentage wise I would guess this split:
- 10% TB-A
- 45% TB-B
- 45% TB-C

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CentralCoastBulldogs