pitching levels

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 18, 2009
My oldest played on a B team. We played in big tournaments against a lot of A teams. The majority of the A teams were similar to our B team. The only difference is that when we faced some of the nationally ranked teams they all had great bats. Top to bottom the batting was phenomenal. The pitching always seemed close. Maybe one out of 20 A teams had a pitcher that looked better than everyone else. It was the bats that made the big difference.

Oct 22, 2009
My oldest played on a B team. We played in big tournaments against a lot of A teams. The majority of the A teams were similar to our B team. The only difference is that when we faced some of the nationally ranked teams they all had great bats. Top to bottom the batting was phenomenal. The pitching always seemed close. Maybe one out of 20 A teams had a pitcher that looked better than everyone else. It was the bats that made the big difference.

One year our team took 3rd in a Nationals. I think we'd have done a little better if we hadn't started out the tournament in the loser bracket. Way too many games and by the time the championships came around were dead beat with too many injuries.

I watched the championship game and the team that came in 2nd, was larger, stronger, and the pitcher was faster.
The team that won, wasn't much to look at in size, the pitcher wasn't that fast, I don't think she got one strike-out.

But they won because they committed no errors, and when they hit, maybe not as powerful, but they put the ball into play and moved runners, it was a close game and they stayed mentally sound throughout it.

May 18, 2009
It's rare when I've seen a blazing pitcher. Very rare. Most HS girls(age) are usually mid fifties and very low 60. I watch mid level to low level college teams. They aren't much faster. It has been rare when I've personally seen a pitcher in the mid 60's. Usually youtube or college world series for that. I got the rare opportunity to watch one, in person, yesterday.

Dec 7, 2011

Agree totally - the "cream" I have seen is due to hitting.

Dec 7, 2011
It's rare when I've seen a blazing pitcher. Very rare. Most HS girls(age) are usually mid fifties and very low 60. I watch mid level to low level college teams. They aren't much faster. It has been rare when I've personally seen a pitcher in the mid 60's. Usually youtube or college world series for that. I got the rare opportunity to watch one, in person, yesterday.

Totally agree here too.

I have maybe seen 2 to 3 mid 60's pitchers over way too much national travel.

So so so many pitchers throwing between 58-62. Movement seperates this large group between D1 pitchers and good TB-B pitchers.

Apparently a stud pitcher in our HS conference is doing upper 60's and is a verbal to Oregon. I can't wait to see this display. I think it's real too as this girl was amazing last year as a freshman. I will definitely update y'all after my DD goes head-to-head :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rosie