Pitching Lessons/ Small Rant

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 25, 2010
That amount of space would be ideal, but 10 feet in your garage pitching into some old carpet hanging from the ceiling works great too. She should be focusing on mechanics and throwing hard, not where the pitch is going anyway, especially in the off season.

Agreed. Don't overthink it and don't forget that she's 9. It's great to have high expectations, but don't be afraid to let the magic take its time. There's nothing wrong with taking your foot off the gas for a few months. Good luck! :)

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I know but it is hard. Unfortunately, or fortunately, I have more time on my hands then my DD.

The last couple years I have been to a lot more games and practices then her.

Some of the other parents ask me where she is and when I tell them that she is not here today they look at me funny, like why the heck are you here then. Oh well.

I agree with 80% of her missed time, the other 20% becomes an Issue between my wife and me.

Personally it is hard for me to strike a balance because my wife hates softball, not sure why. Our DD loves it.

We did not sign-up her up for fall ball witch worked ok until some of her fellow classmates mentioned that their practices started. My DD came home and was told she was not signed up and that she needed a break. Anyways the League commissioner gave us a break; drove over to their house with a check. :)

Nov 29, 2009
Thanks,

For some reason I am not impressed with The Bulls/Sox Academy in Lisle so if we are going for a one on one PC, which the opinions here seem to support, we will be looking outside their organization.

Contact Ed Serdar at Stone City.

My daughter learned how to pitch there and played for them for several years. Ken will also concur on this. His daughter also took pitching lessons there.

Stone City Softball

sharkeed13@yahoo.com

He was running pitching camps during the winter at the warehouse, but I don't see them advertised yet.

Personally it is hard for me to strike a balance because my wife hates softball, not sure why. Our DD loves it.

I think the reason that some mom's dislike softball is that they want our DDs to be 'girly'. Whereas, dads enjoy seeing the girls on the softball field and we treat them like ball players. A good example was at my DDs fall practice last night. We were scrimmaging our association's other team and my DD was playing 3B. There were two or three short pop ups that she took a look at and let fall foul. I'm on the side telling her to dive after the ball and get dirty, my wife is telling her good job on not diving because she is afraid that DD will get hurt. Just an example of how two parents look at the same situation very differently.

May 7, 2008
Quincy: Every successful athlete will tell you that they had someone who followed them throughout their maturation towards their success. You need to become that person who will be there for your daughter, to help her practice, take her to her coach, and watch all her performances. Your feedback and ability to see what is right and what needs adjustment will only grow the more you go to all the practices with the coach and you learn while she is learning. She will need your second set of eyes and your encouragement, especially when things aren't going well. And along the way, you will be developing a close bond with your daughter that will last a life time. What more could you ask for. I have been there and done that with my daughter who is now retired from the sport. I was with her all the way, from when she started at 8 years old, right through her four years pitching at Div.I level to tournament play after school ended. We still talk softball all the time and are very close, because of the commitment we made to each other.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1