pitching instructor advice for high school

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 22, 2011
our high school is considering hiring someone as the pitching coach who believes leap and drag is just west coast mechanics, and slam the door with your hip and hello elbow is the way to go, what would be your advice to the school administration?

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
Advise them to view this website. Send them some literature and show them videos of the top pitchers, none of whom do those things.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
Ask them what other powerful upper body motion finishes out in front of the body rather than across the body? Overhand throw? No. Batting? No. Golf swing? No.Tennis swing? No. Javelin? No. Hockey slap shot? No. Not even bowling. Every one of these motions finishes across the body, not with the arm out in front, perpendicular to the shoulders. Why is the windmill pitch different from every other upper body motion?

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I don't want to turn this into a HS vs. TB argument, but my DD has been taking pitching lessons for 4 years, and playing TB for 5. We play/practice TB 8 months a year, HS ball 2.5 months, and we take 6 weeks off between Thanksgiving and New Years. The chances of a HS coach dramatically changing her pitching style or motion are ZERO! I would rather her not play than to let a HS coach mess things up.

Last edited:

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
our high school is considering hiring someone as the pitching coach who believes leap and drag is just west coast mechanics, and slam the door with your hip and hello elbow is the way to go, what would be your advice to the school administration?

Tell your administration for me, feel free to use my name, "You people are idiots!".

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Lets go with the assumption that he is right leap and drag is a west coast thing, which I don't think its limited to West coast, but for the sake of this argument lets give him that point.

The majority of all WCWS winning teams have come from the West Coast. What would be the problem with using the same style? Toss in there that the majority of all pitchers in powerhouse programs East of the Mississippi also use West Coast pitchers, I think it shows that it works.

West Coast, East Coast, what is this some Rapper fued?

Jan 25, 2011
Sounds like football talk to me,whats next? West coast offense.We dont swing the bat like that,thats a west coast swing!:cool:May be the PC is just trying to make themselves sound like a expert?;) Bill Hillhouse started his career in Erie,Pa. , a little ways away from the west coast. I guess , Bill uses a South coast style,Erie is south of Canada,EH ,you darn Canadians:p now you have me saying EH.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2011
Sounds like football talk to me,whats next? West coast offense.We dont swing the bat like that,thats a west coast swing!:cool:May be the PC is just trying to make themselves sound like a expert?;) Bill Hillhouse started his career in Erie,Pa. , a little ways away from the west coast. I guess , Bill uses a South coast style,Erie is south of Canada,EH ,you darn Canadians:p now you have me saying EH.
Sorry Marc Dagenais,I hope we dont get a North Coast vs South Coast war started,;) Remember,Who loves ya!

Jun 18, 2010
If you are unable to change their mind on the "hello elbow" instructor, you might consider a work around....

For our TB team, HC has a policy if a player is paying to take lessons from a private hitting or pitching instructor, then neither he nor any of the assistant coaches are to undermine what the private instructor is trying to accomplish by making changes. If the coaching staff has a concern, they talk to the parent to relay that concern to the private instructor. As it relates to this situation, if your HS is one of the more competitive, your players are coming in with TB experience, including the pitchers. Most likely they already have a pitching coach. I would advice them to adopt a similar policy to avoid interfering with changing mechanics for players receiving private instruction.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
We have never had a pitcher in high scool that didn't take pitching lessons from someone. So why would a high school even consider this? I agree with the above.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DDubyah