Pitching faster - physical or mental thing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
When I was around 12-years-old, I stumbled onto an exercise that allowed me to pitch faster than I had ever pitched before. I did this exercise very very slowly for a couple minutes. It did not make me stronger, it did not build any more muscle or strengthen my arm / shoulder or anything of that sort.

It was not a physical thing at all, it was a mental thing, a self-confidence thing.

I have read for years, on boards like this, where everyone talks about building muscle / strength as the ONLY way to increase pitching speed. I never hear or read anything about the other speed factor.

I hear them say "Shehas reached a plateau" or "She ha maxxed out on speed" or (and this one really torques my gills) " It's just not in her genes / DNA to throw any faster". HORSE CRAP!

I have gotten more speed from pitchers from 8 to 21 years old and it only took a couple minutes.

They dont throw any faster right now for one simple reason; THEY DONT KNOW THEY CAN BECAUSE THEIR INSTRUCTOR DID NOT GIVE THEM THAT CONFIDENCE LEVEL.

They might understand mechanics but if they do not understand how a champion picher MUST think, then the students WILL top out at some point.

DONT FORGET THE MENTAL SIDE OF PITCHING.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2011
So who in here has some good success stories on developing that "swag".

I agree that the "swag", as I will call it, can be at least a 25% adder to the level of performance of a pitcher.

I witnessed this over this last summer. My DD had an incredible high period then an incredible low period. Before poor pitch calling and hyper-criticality towards "hitting spots" my DD just blew away competition, including CO Sparkler All-star squads. Then after getting pressed with "hit your spots" or I will take you out after a BB she became more subdued and ineffective. It was the story of two different pitchers.....

I would love to hear some strategies that have worked to get that swag back.

Jul 26, 2010
It takes a kid who knows that they are responsible for their own attitude. As soon as they mature enough to understand that it's just themselves. . . not their coach, not their dad, not the dirt, not the weather, not the batter. . . then they can really shine. As long as they're subservient and out there to please someone else, they'll never have it.

-W

Dec 7, 2011
It takes a kid who knows that they are responsible for their own attitude. As soon as they mature enough to understand that it's just themselves. . . not their coach, not their dad, not the dirt, not the weather, not the batter. . . then they can really shine. As long as they're subservient and out there to please someone else, they'll never have it.

-W

BILLION percent agree with this - but how do you help a DD get to this realization?

Nov 29, 2009
As long as they're subservient and out there to please someone else, they'll never have it.

Have a girl like that right now. She throws great in warm-ups but is struggling in the games with speed and control. Been trying everything I can think of to get inside her head and flip the "Attitude" switch. What I mean by attitude is that she is stepping into the circle and challenging the batters.

Jul 26, 2010
BILLION percent agree with this - but how do you help a DD get to this realization?

I wish I knew. Some kids just "get it", and others don't. Usually this happens sometime between 12 and 15YO. It happens when the kid decides that they just don't want to play softball, but that they want to be a softball player. Once they make this decision, swagger comes easy. Most of the kids that make it to 18gold have had this subconscious realization.

I think that it has more to do with coming of age and maturity then any psychological training you can apply. I might be wrong, hell I hope I am, if someone knows how to induce this state, I'm all ears.

-W

Jun 18, 2010
Then after getting pressed with "hit your spots" or I will take you out after a BB she became more subdued and ineffective.

I would love to hear some strategies that have worked to get that swag back.

In my experience, a poorly timed, poorly delivered criticism of a player by a HC, AC, or Parent can do more damage to a player's attitude, confidence and swagger than anything. For my DD, delivery and timing is everything when I criticize. If I criticize while disappointed, frustrated or angry, DD immediately picks up on my vibe and mentally shuts down. For me, it has been a challenge to effect the desired change while not destroying her mental state. I have started rephrasing my critiques, for example...

If you keep missing your spots or walk another batter, your going to get pulled.
vs.
This is a good team, and we want to keep them off base. I know you can hit your spots if you focus and do what you know you can do... small target, slot your arm, stride to your spot, throw the ball don't try to guide it.... Remember pitchers have short term memory loss... forget that last batter, lets attack this next one...

later, if I have to pull her, I'll compliment her on the effort and tell her we will get em' next time.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
In my experience, a poorly timed, poorly delivered criticism of a player by a HC, AC, or Parent can do more damage to a player's attitude, confidence and swagger than anything.

At the young ages, of course that is true. At the older ages, if a kid can't take harsh criticism, she isn't going to play.

On advanced teams, coaches don't have time to walk on eggshells around players. The coaches tell them, bluntly, what is wrong and what is expected. If a kid can't take that kind of direct, frank criticism, then they aren't going to play.

Then after getting pressed with "hit your spots" or I will take you out after a BB she became more subdued and ineffective.

Rubberbiscuit, it is about performing under pressure. Do you put pressure on her in practice?

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2010
It takes a special mental attitude to pitch. My DD amazes me when she's in the circle. It's like every distraction is gone and she's entirely focused on one thing. I can't think of anything else she does that creates that response. Also, she doesn't let anything bother her while she's in the circle. Bad calls, errors in the field, a mistake on her part. She stays entirely focused on the next pitch once the play has ended from the previous pitch.

I don't know how she does it.

Dec 7, 2011
At the young ages, of course that is true. At the older ages, if a kid can't take harsh criticism, she isn't going to play.

On advanced teams, coaches don't have time to walk on eggshells around players. The coaches tell them, bluntly, what is wrong and what is expected. If a kid can't take that kind of direct, frank criticism, then they aren't going to play.

Rubberbiscuit, it is about performing under pressure. Do you put pressure on her in practice?

Ya DD has been in the biggest pressure cookers and has performed great. I think for my DD specifically it has more to do with others negativity that angers her and then that affects her performance. We've had two TB teams now that have had others get into fights and it ends up negatively affecting my DD's performance (even though she's not in the middle of the fight). I just call it a "focus challenge" with DD. I know she gets it but I am not sure she knows how to break out of that control these other folks have on her....

It's frustrating when I have seen her dominate some of the best in the country. I just gotta find a TB team with no stupid negativity and no half-hearted dedication. Wish us luck....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA