Pitching and infield throws at same practice?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
If your pitchers are being expected to field their position, or play IF as an alternate position, they should be getting IF practice work. Ground balls and overhand throws are fundamentals of the game, for every position. Generally speaking, I don't see an issue with working in a bullpen session before or after team fielding practice.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
To paraphrase @RADcatcher, "Sometimes the best fielding instruction to a pitcher is to get out of the way." In college, my DD's job on infield popups was to walk, quickly, into foul territory.

On high level teams, the corners and catchers are incredibly quick.

This video of Mike Candrea working with the Olympic team always make me smile. Jenny Finch's technique is awful...but, if you can throw 70MPH with a great rise ball, who cares? Lisa Fernandez is better...but that is Lisa.

In the first 2:20 of the video is a tremendous warm-up drill without stress on any arms. Notice how close the coach is they are throwing to.

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
To paraphrase @RADcatcher, "Sometimes the best fielding instruction to a pitcher is to get out of the way." In college, my DD's job on infield popups was to walk, quickly, into foul territory.

On high level teams, the corners and catchers are incredibly quick.

This video of Mike Candrea working with the Olympic team always make me smile. Jenny Finch's technique is awful...but, if you can throw 70MPH with a great rise ball, who cares? Lisa Fernandez is better...but that is Lisa.

Imo
Pitchers are a defensive player and should learn to take grounders if anything to defend themselves.
Learn bunt recovery. Even an underhand throw to bases or home on a squeeze can be fine.

Have caught for pitchers who were not defensive players. They would move out of they way.

That said, having a pitcher who is also a defensive player at the center of the field is a fantastic asset.
*Also recognize that pitchers play other positions. Since a pitcher might play two different positions, same day, they may be asked to pitch one game and play the next game somewhere else on the field.

Being able to do both in the same day will be a requirement!

That said, the facilitation of practice is ran by the coach. Some coaches will require pitchers to do both...
Pitch and defense.

Last edited by a moderator:

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
That said, having a pitcher who is also a defensive player at the center of the field is a fantastic asset.
*Also recognize that pitchers play other positions. Since a pitcher might play two different positions, same day, they may be asked to pitch one game and play the next game somewhere else on the field.

I understand what you are saying. but...on a high level team there isn't a whole lot for the pitcher to do. The corners and the catcher are so quick that there isn't much left of the infield to cover.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdawson30