Pitcher recovering from ACL tear

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 23, 2009
NE
Does anyone know of a pitcher who tore their ACL?

How did she come back from it?

How long?

My ace 10U tore her's and is now in a leg brace. No word if surgery or not.

Jul 28, 2008
A pitcher in our organization (15 yo) is under the knife at this very moment for her ACL. She's getting a cadaver achilles tendon put in place of her ACL. She was told by the doctor that the fix will be better than it was before the injury and she can be back pitching in 3-4 months. Should be fully healed in 6 months. We will see.

Jan 23, 2009
NE
How the hell does a 10 year old tear their ACL?

She was going to step on home, with a catcher blocking the plate and NO PLAY. Catcher moves foot - pitcher steps on foot and drops to ground.

She says no surgery just a brace for now so I don't think it's that bad.

May 25, 2010
Although every case is unique, a 15yo doesn't need surgery to repair an ACL. The 10yo will be fine, too...could be 100% within 6
months with normal diet and rehab.

Apr 27, 2009
Not that this applies to a 10 year old but there's life after a torn ACL.

I tore my ACL and MCL (stepping on an improperly mounted base). As long as you do rehab, which begins right after surgery. It is a lot of swimming, etc.

You have to get full range of motion as soon as the therapist allows. Rehab helps prevents scar tissue. I had this cool thing that ran cold water from an ice bucket to promote healing. Th erapists know the drill. You have to wear a metal brace for awhile when playing.

I kept up with weightlifting, cardio, and strict warm up routines before games for career. I ditched the knee brace the minute I was allowed and have been able to bash into people sliding or whatever no issue. I recommend weightlifting starting around 14 years old.

I had it done awhile ago, so I am not sure but I think it was 4 months recovery (with brace). Brace off after one year.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The recovery and treatment of this CHILD will be determined by her parents and her treating physician(s). Everyone else is guessing. If you want to know anything more precise, ask her parents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd