Pitcher asking for different ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
She's had to pitch with balls she doesn't like plenty of times. She can do it. But if the umpire doesn't mind her swapping them out, she'll do that if she gets one that feels too slick or the seams are too low. Those are the 2 things she usually swaps out for when she does it.

That umpire isn't doing his/her job, is being unfair in his/her lack of enforcement and giving your daughter an unfair advantage.

Jun 12, 2015
That umpire isn't doing his/her job, is being unfair in his/her lack of enforcement and giving your daughter an unfair advantage.

Only if he refuses to let the other team's pitcher do the same, as far as unfair advantage goes. I've never seen an umpire refuse to swap out a ball. I don't know if you're picturing this happening 20x in a game or what, but it's more like once every few tournaments. As to enforcing the rules, they don't enforce a LOT of rules that actually make a difference. A pitcher wanting to use one 100% approved ball over another 100% approved ball should not have any impact on the game at all, particularly if the umps let both sides do it. This seems like an odd rule to get worked up about.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I heard a funny story about this issue at a coaching clinic once. Can't remember who the coach was, but I think it may have been Linda Wells talking about her playing days.

Anyway, the pitcher asked for a different ball because she didn't like the feel of the one she had and the umpire refused. The pitcher wasn't happy, so the catcher said "Hey, there's nobody on base and you have a clean count. Just chuck it over the backstop." So the pitcher gets a big grin on her face, and on the next pitch winds up and throws it over the backstop and into the ravine behind. According to the coach telling the story the umpire said, "Next time you want a different ball just ask."

So if you don't mind getting behind in the count, just chuck the ball over the backstop.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
I heard a funny story about this issue at a coaching clinic once. Can't remember who the coach was, but I think it may have been Linda Wells talking about her playing days.

Anyway, the pitcher asked for a different ball because she didn't like the feel of the one she had and the umpire refused. The pitcher wasn't happy, so the catcher said "Hey, there's nobody on base and you have a clean count. Just chuck it over the backstop." So the pitcher gets a big grin on her face, and on the next pitch winds up and throws it over the backstop and into the ravine behind. According to the coach telling the story the umpire said, "Next time you want a different ball just ask."

So if you don't mind getting behind in the count, just chuck the ball over the backstop.

I saw this happen in a Men's FP game once and the pitcher was ejected.

FYI....In my experience, Men's FP pitchers are far worse in the Prima Donna factor than female pitchers.....

Jun 11, 2013
I remember a few years ago we had a friend playing the Triple Crown. It was the 2 best teams in the tournament playing in the quarters and was 0-0 late in the game. The P (who was our friend) didn't like the ball and asked for a change but PU wouldn't do it. She wound up throwing 2 straight WP's that let the runner get to 3rd. Fortunately the batter hit a foul ball on the next pitch then grounded out to end the inning. Our friends team wound up winning the game in ITB and the tournament, but it just seemed like the PU was just trying to show the 12 year old pitcher who was boss.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
DD rarely changes balls unless one is wet, which isn't uncommon in PA... Last week I noticed she requested a new ball. The next pitch got fouled over the back stop so the ump threw in the ball she just switched out. She asked again to have it switched, but the umpire refused at that point. They only had 2 balls available, and the other wasn't back in yet. DD called time and asked to speak with the umpire. Apparently the ball was damaged but the umpire didn't notice it. When she pointed it out, the umpire eliminated that ball and asked the home team for a replacement.

Feb 7, 2013

MTR - just an observation, but you have been here for 10 years, have posted 3000 times, been thanked 629 times and you have "thanked" only ONE person in this forum all this time?????

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
It is my understanding the rule is to stop pitchers from playing around and slowing the game down constantly trying to get a particular ball. Much like the situation in the original post, girl constantly asking for a different ball. Or, like a game I had last year where at the pregame meeting the home coach informed my partner his pitcher liked to throw I think it was Champ balls or something like that and the visiting team liked to throw Dudleys so they were going to switch out balls every half inning. I was astounded when my partner agreed and we had to go through a ball changing ritual every half inning.

I believe [MENTION=423]MTR[/MENTION] would have a stroke if there was a 'ball changing ritual' each half inning in one of his games

Last edited:

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Only if he refuses to let the other team's pitcher do the same, as far as unfair advantage goes. I've never seen an umpire refuse to swap out a ball. I don't know if you're picturing this happening 20x in a game or what, but it's more like once every few tournaments. As to enforcing the rules, they don't enforce a LOT of rules that actually make a difference. A pitcher wanting to use one 100% approved ball over another 100% approved ball should not have any impact on the game at all, particularly if the umps let both sides do it. This seems like an odd rule to get worked up about.

You would be surprised by what umpires can get worked up about as a group.

I just got an eval back from a high school playoff game I did last week. I was dinged because my shoes were not entirely clean and black when I walked onto the field (again)... that was it. All the other things that happened in a 7 inning, 2 hour, 3-2 game decided on a suicide squeeze were great... but my shoes. Apparently this was not the first time and my evaluator wanted to make a very specific point about it.

To be fair, good officials have a deep, deep knowledge of the details of the rules and mechanics of officiating and know that it is often the details that are important. You want to be as right as is humanly possible and covering weird situations in play books, case books, clinics and online discussion is critical to raising your knowledge. I have a lot of respect for people like MTR & Comp for the amount of knowledge they have and their willingness to share it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad