Pitcher and Catcher Tryouts

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 23, 2013
Colorado
Good Morning. I need some help please. We will be having try outs next month when the Spring/Summer season is officially over. We are going to be looking for pitchers and catchers.

I need help as in what drills do you have pitchers and catchers go thru to help your selection?

Pitchers we are thinking about getting them on the radar obviously, see how well they can hit the corners and have them throw there off speed pitches.

What drills should we use for catchers? Framing the pitch, blocking the ball?

What have you used?

Thanks,

I think you have the basics down. Age matters a little in that you might look at a few things differently.

For pitchers I would first look for control then movement then speed.

For catchers blocking ability and technique then arm strength, pop to pop, would not worry to much about framing you should be able to teach that fairly quickly. Make sure you take into account hitting, if as a catcher she is a little shaky (more of a project) but she can crush the ball don't be afraid to put in a little work with her maybe along with that #3 or #4 pitcher, your #1 catcher is going to need breaks anyway, especially if like us your have those 3 games in a row on Sunday in 100+ degrees.

Jun 24, 2013
Also, of course timed throws to second with a runner on first. See how well they can make a throw with an actual runner stealing. See if they set up correctly with a runner on base. See if they can place the throws in the right location. Also attitude. The right attitude. True catchers are a different breed. I took one girl who had caught very little, but was like a sponge. Every technique i threw at her she absorbed and remembered. She could get it to second in under 2, and she was tall and could get those wild pitches like nobody's business. Her dad was pushing her real hard to take up volleyball because there were more scholarships in volleyball. She had heart like I have rarely seen.
I also like my pitchers to have control over speed. I have had a bunch of girls that could throw fast right down the middle, but would keep the ER busy on inside pitches.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Pitchers - First thing I ask is how many pitches do you have? Of course they answer 5-6. Then we go through each pitch several times to several different locations which really makes it 2-3 pitches they can throw. If possible have a coach stand in the box both right and left to she how she throws with a "batter". All throughout this I am talking to her, asking her questions on pitch selection/location for different scenarios. This lets me see (1) how they think, and (2) if they can focus on the task at hand.

Catchers - All the basics (blocking, framing, general set ups, ect) and also I like to see them throwing to all bases. Even the snap to 1st. If there is time we also do pop ups to see who is willing to make that extra effort!!!

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Do you have access to a RevFire? It will also help if you have them pitch against live batters. Just like there are "cage hitting phenoms", some pitchers are great when there is not a batter in the box, but as soon as a batter steps in they loose 3-5 MPH.

Jun 24, 2013
I would not use a radar gun on the pitcher, put some batters up there and see how they do.

Also see if the P and C can communicate with each other, if not switch it up until you get a match or eliminate one of the players.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom