Pitch counts in softball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 30, 2013
Infinite, really? Hyperbole much?

What game do you play where there’s a limit on the number of pitches that can be thrown in an inning? In my world no limit equates to infinite.

The only states in your link with HSBB pitch count limits are SD and VT. Who else besides them and LL have pitch count limits? As a baseball guy, you should be aware they're only enforced within their sanctions and players exceed them by playing on multiple teams/sanctions in the same week.

Well, they’re also the rule in some NYC HS leagues, they will be the rule this upcoming season in Co HS too. I can’t say how many other venues impose pitch count limitations too because I don’t try to keep up with eve, they will be the rule this upcoming season in Co HS too. I can’t say how many other venues impose pitch count limitations too because I don’t try to keep up with every possible rule making entity.

Yes, I know the rules are only enforced within a rule’s authority, which is a shame. However, it at least protects the pitchers to some degree.

The article in the OP is nothing new. The sticking point is determining where limits should be placed for FP. Here's a starting point - Softball Injuries | Softball Injury Prevention & Treatment.

How would those guidelines be enforced on players playing on “multiple teams/sanctions in the same week”? It doesn’t matter how loose or rigid the rules, unless/until there’s a national database where all pitching is logged and can be reviewed, no limitation rule will be very effective.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
...How would those guidelines be enforced on players playing on “multiple teams/sanctions in the same week”? It doesn’t matter how loose or rigid the rules, unless/until there’s a national database where all pitching is logged and can be reviewed, no limitation rule will be very effective.

It is official, we have moved on to the totally absurd.

Sep 30, 2013

Why is it totally absurd? Is it because you think it’s stupid, or because you think it’s impossible? Personally, I believe it would be very useful to know exactly what pitchers are having for workloads rather than depending on stories and other rhetoric from people who may or may not be telling the truth. Of course there's always the possibility that you have something to hide for fear of being labeled as a coach who abuses pitchers or allows their own child to be abused for the sake of some kind of glory.

Fear of the truth is never a good reason for not seeking it out.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W

How do you figure? This happens on the baseball side all the time. Little League has pitching limits. However, little Tommy also plays PONY ball. They don't keep track of one another.

Come spring, Sally is throwing for her HS team during the week. Coach also wants her to throw BP in between games to the team so that they can see live pitching. The weekend comes and she's now throwing two more ASA games on Saturday plus all the elimination games on Sunday. Monday arrives and the HS coach once again wants her to throw some BP to the team during practice.

Are you telling us that you haven't seen this before? If not, then that's absurd.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Why is it totally absurd? Is it because you think it’s stupid, or because you think it’s impossible? Personally, I believe it would be very useful to know exactly what pitchers are having for workloads rather than depending on stories and other rhetoric from people who may or may not be telling the truth. Of course there's always the possibility that you have something to hide for fear of being labeled as a coach who abuses pitchers or allows their own child to be abused for the sake of some kind of glory.

Fear of the truth is never a good reason for not seeking it out.

I think the sport and the youths of world will survive in the absence of your proposed pitch nanny registry. Some people think football is played so there is a reason for the marching band to perform. Some folks on this forum sound like the only reason for softball or baseball is to provide numbers for them to obsesses over down in their basement into the early morning hours.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
How do you figure? This happens on the baseball side all the time. Little League has pitching limits. However, little Tommy also plays PONY ball. They don't keep track of one another.

Come spring, Sally is throwing for her HS team during the week. Coach also wants her to throw BP in between games to the team so that they can see live pitching. The weekend comes and she's now throwing two more ASA games on Saturday plus all the elimination games on Sunday. Monday arrives and the HS coach once again wants her to throw some BP to the team during practice.

Are you telling us that you haven't seen this before? If not, then that's absurd.

Settle down. My comment was in the context of a national registry.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32