Pinch runner scores - who gets run?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 28, 2013
Please tell me if the following scorebook notations (and rationale) are correct for this scenario:

Batter singles and a pinch runner is sent in. Pinch runner steals 2nd and scores on the next batter's HR. Because the batter "earned" first base and the pinch runner is only there because of the batter, the original batter is credited with the run scored. Because the pinch runner "earned" 2nd base and the original batter had nothing to do with reaching 2nd, the pinch runner is credited with the stolen base (and caught stealing, if that's what happened.)

Thanks!

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Officially speaking, whoever cross home gets the run. In this case, it's the pinch runner.

I'm basing that off major league baseball rules. There have been players who had more runs scored than at-bats in their careers. Herb Washington is one.

There's nothing wrong, however, with scoring in the way that you (or the coach) believes is best for your particular team as long as your stats aren't part of a larger league that compares stats. Then everybody needs to be on the same page, IMO.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2013
I don't see anything in the softball or baseball rule books that cover these scenarios. With all due respect, CoogansBluff (and I'm a BIG Eastwood fan!), what do you mean "officially speaking"? Unless I've just been missing the official rules citations - can anyone point me to it (them)?

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I don't see anything in the softball or baseball rule books that cover these scenarios. With all due respect, CoogansBluff (and I'm a BIG Eastwood fan!), what do you mean "officially speaking"? Unless I've just been missing the official rules citations - can anyone point me to it (them)?

By ''officially,'' I mean the rules of major league baseball. I can't immediately find the scoring rule you're asking about, but if you click on the link to Herb Washington in my first post, you'll see that he scored over 20 runs in his career despite never getting an at-bat. He scored all of his runs as a pinch-hitter. That is proof of how major league baseball views it.

Also, check out these stats for Georgia's softball team: http://www.georgiadogs.com/sports/w-softbl/stats/2012-2013/teamcume.html

Note the stats of Katie Sowers. She has scored 10 runs. She has only two at-bats. She scored those runs as a pinch-runner.

Feb 3, 2011
Softball is a team sport and on a team, each player has a different job to do. Yes, we keep stats, but a person cannot score if she's out of the game. The batter's job was to get on base. She did her job. The sub's job was to get around the bases and score. She did her job. The batter's BA goes up. The sub gets a SB and RS.

Apr 1, 2010
By ''officially,'' I mean the rules of major league baseball. I can't immediately find the scoring rule you're asking about, but if you click on the link to Herb Washington in my first post, you'll see that he scored over 20 runs in his career despite never getting an at-bat. He scored all of his runs as a pinch-hitter. That is proof of how major league baseball views it.

Also, check out these stats for Georgia's softball team: http://www.georgiadogs.com/sports/w-softbl/stats/2012-2013/teamcume.html

Note the stats of Katie Sowers. She has scored 10 runs. She has only two at-bats. She scored those runs as a pinch-runner.

Hehehe, and look at the stats of Katie Browne, the catcher. She's got a .322 average and 87 at-bats, but has only scored 9 times.

Mar 28, 2013
Thanks, Green Monsters, for your help. I still don't see anything that speaks to this issue in any rule book but everyone has coalesced around one answer so I guess I now have a different answer to the age-old question every parent asks her child at some point: "if everyone else is doing it, does that make it right?"

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
If everybody wants to live in Lake Wobegone and have above-average kids, who am I to disagree? However, when these people move to Reality, it can be quite the culture shock. Where we choose to live is a personal preference. YMMV.

edited to add that after 3 posts the OP (original poster) may not know that YMMV=Your Mileage May Vary

Mar 28, 2013
HA - I guess my mileage varies too much because I'm not finding the relevance of Lake Wobegon here. Still very cool that this one thread contains a Clint Eastwood AND a Garrison Keillor reference!

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Thanks, Green Monsters, for your help. I still don't see anything that speaks to this issue in any rule book but everyone has coalesced around one answer so I guess I now have a different answer to the age-old question every parent asks her child at some point: "if everyone else is doing it, does that make it right?"

Why do you think it would be wrong to give the run scored to the runner who actually scored as opposed to the batter who got on base?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes