Penny for your thoughts...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 1, 2018
Love the videos. You said you were worried about your phrasing, I would challenge you to imagine that you were not being videoed and just on the phone how would you describe the motions. Might help your phrasing.....but you killed it.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Watch closely in this gif. He says, I get into position, his hands start to flatten out making that move by the way, (That flattening out would not be able to be stopped in full speed/swing) and then all of a sudden he changes direction and then chops or moves his hands down. That would not be possible when everything is moving together. So, someone watching this trying to understand would have a false understanding of what Bonds is really doing. This is what I mean, that they do a poor Job communicating what they actually do.

Clemenslee1, the message is from a dynamic position he can direct the barrel in multiple directions based on what the pitch calls for. I believe the girl CobraAssist is referring to never gets into this position vs everything moving together in one direction.

z8ObobZ.gif

Does your daughter get into that position to direct the momentum or does she pass through it ?

OaPNxFF.gif

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017
Clemenslee1, the message is from a dynamic position he can direct the barrel in multiple directions based on what the pitch calls for. I believe the girl CobraAssist is referring to never gets into this position vs everything moving together in one direction.

z8ObobZ.gif

Does your daughter get into that position to direct the momentum or does she pass through it ?

OaPNxFF.gif

To be honest I didn't view any of the thread just your comment. So, I probably took it out of context of what you where referring to. My bad. To answer your question though, I would say its to be able to position yourself to direct all stored energy to the ball wherever in the zone it may be.

May 1, 2011

z8ObobZ.gif

OaPNxFF.gif

She does not achieve the position that Alonso is in (not my daughter BTW). As her foot lands (pretty wide open) her hip is already gone. Anything she hits on the outer half is hands at that point.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
She does not achieve the position that Alonso is in (not my daughter BTW). As her foot lands (pretty wide open) her hip is already gone. Anything she hits on the outer half is hands at that point.

Sorry, I didn't think I was referring to your daughter but Clemenslee1 and his daughters position.

OaPNxFF.gif

Oct 2, 2017
Sorry, I didn't think I was referring to your daughter but Clemenslee1 and his daughters position.

OaPNxFF.gif

Thats a old clip of her, but To be honest, She wasn't getting into that position there either. I believe she was losing it at that point.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010

Does she pass rite through the hitting position which may be why you say the hip is gone ?

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
You are ahead of most, in that you have identified the issues. Sounds like she is striding forward by opening her hips, and she has bat drag.

Almost 99% of kids do this.

But your fixes won't work. I have tried your fixes until a decade ago, and have some ideas about how to improve them.

MLB hitters coil their hips AND shoulders INWARD 30-45 deg as they coil forward, and hold that coil until their front foot is an inch or two from landing. So they land with their hips even. It won't work to try to stride even, they will have no power and it feels weird.

Coiling in also helps to keep the swing from starting too soon, which makes the elbow drop before toe touch, which causes the back elbow to lead the hands (this is bat drag you identified).

The final piece to fixing bat drag is to tell them to NEVER let the back elbow get in front of the hands. If their back forearm is flat/horizontal at toe touch, the job is done.

Good luck.

May 1, 2011
You are ahead of most, in that you have identified the issues. Sounds like she is striding forward by opening her hips, and she has bat drag.

Almost 99% of kids do this.

But your fixes won't work. I have tried your fixes until a decade ago, and have some ideas about how to improve them.

MLB hitters coil their hips AND shoulders INWARD 30-45 deg as they coil forward, and hold that coil until their front foot is an inch or two from landing. So they land with their hips even. It won't work to try to stride even, they will have no power and it feels weird.

Coiling in also helps to keep the swing from starting too soon, which makes the elbow drop before toe touch, which causes the back elbow to lead the hands (this is bat drag you identified).

The final piece to fixing bat drag is to tell them to NEVER let the back elbow get in front of the hands. If their back forearm is flat/horizontal at toe touch, the job is done.

Good luck.

She's going to send me some videos from this past weekend and then some of her working this week if she can take them. Going to throw them on here to get some more feedback. I'm all for coiling with the stride. Harder to get younger kids to grasp that. Bre and I were limited this summer because she hurt her foot. We got 2 sessions in and she was toast. Ended up going back to school a month early, so all of our work has been over the phone and her sending me video so I can doctor it up and give her some feedback that way. Her coaches were working with her yesterday and she called me in a panic because they were telling her something different. Turns out they were telling her the same stuff, but just using different words. She's going to meet with her hitting coach up there today and show him the stuff that I sent her so we can all get on the same page. She's hitting .370 right now with 10 extra base hits, so it's not like she's desperate. There's just so much untapped potential for her by learning to use the whole field, and we're trying to get to it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying