Paying for DD to ride the bench....Not My Thing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 28, 2020
So what you are saying is that if a team does not guarantee you that your dd is a starter and that she will play every minute of every game, you will not allow your dd to play for that team. If she ain't startin you ain't departin. If she ain't playin, you ain't stayin. Personally, my dd never received that type of guarantee. As a coach, I would never give it. Good luck.

Not one person has replied why riding the bench is good for a dd at 12U????

Not every min of every game....but I expect her to be a starter.....if not she can stay where she is at

She sits now, but not allot she knows she is a key to this team.....she works hard

All the vultures are out now trying to pick off our talent....Why leave this team to go to a so called better team just to ride the beach.....

I don't get it....

Its just me... I Don't Pay to Warm the Bench .... My money can be used for other things....

Not one person has replied to why riding the bench at 12U is good for a DD????

Dec 26, 2017
Oklahoma
I honestly don't have a problem with this, lol, as long as coaches are informed before you join a team. I think what some people miss when they hear this is that you aren't ALSO demanding that she get to play for the best A level team in the state and don't seem to feel entitled to that. You basically told the coach that if she wasn't good enough to play a lot, then it's not a good use of your money and it's not going to be good for her development.

I feel like kids at this age/level should be trying to find situations where they are being challenged but are playing a lot more than they aren't. There is a time and a place to embrace your role as a "great teammate" (the polite term for the kid who is way over her head and never plays), but it's not in 12u softball. I took my own kid off of a team that I coached, because she wasn't a good fit anymore and wasn't going to play enough to get better.

We refer to it as PLAYING a sport for a reason.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2020
Your DD will be playing on a lot of different teams throughout her career then...

This isn't my first go around. One went to Pace University New York Softball DII. I had the same mentality with her. She only played on three tournament teams between 6th grade and 12th grade. We are very loyal to teams we play for and it takes a strong guarantee to move us.....

Another daughter had full ride offers in Track and Basketball. She chose track. I had the same mentality with her. Same track team from 2nd grade to graduating high school and only two different basketball team from 6th grade to graduating high school.

Like I said got the Hat, T-Shirt, and Shoe strings I am not paying for riding pine.....

Mar 28, 2020
I honestly don't have a problem with this, lol, as long as coaches are informed before you join a team. I think what some people miss when they hear this is that you aren't ALSO demanding that she get to play for the best A level team in the state and don't seem to feel entitled to that. You basically told the coach that if she wasn't good enough to play a lot, then it's not a good use of your money and it's not going to be good for her development.

I feel like kids at this age/level should be trying to find situations where they are being challenged but are playing a lot more than they aren't. There is a time and a place to embrace your roll as a "great teammate" (the polite term for the kid who is way over her head and never plays), but it's not in 12u softball. I took my own kid off of a team that I coached, because she wasn't a good fit anymore and wasn't going to play enough to get better.

We refer to it as PLAYING a sport for a reason.
YES YES YES

That what I am saying

YES YES YES

She is happy where she is at.....she is developing....yes its not a high end A/B team but she is happy and playing.... why change and why was he pissed when I said it???

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Not one person has replied why riding the bench is good for a dd at 12U????

Not every min of every game....but I expect her to be a starter.....if not she can stay where she is at

She sits now, but not allot she knows she is a key to this team.....she works hard

All the vultures are out now trying to pick off our talent....Why leave this team to go to a so called better team just to ride the beach.....

I don't get it....

Its just me... I Don't Pay to Warm the Bench .... My money can be used for other things....

Not one person has replied to why riding the bench at 12U is good for a DD????
I'll respond. If you play for any competitive team, and you said that you have unquestioned knowledge of this TB situation, then the team has approximately 12-14 players. There will always be players on the bench of any quality team. It seems as if your dd is playing on a team of 9. LOL Maybe the other parents are good with you dictating the terms to your TB coach. I would not be and my dd would not be on that team. My dd played on some exceptional teams and yet, they never had a "star" who was above the expectations of all other players. Believe me, you need to stay on the team your dd is on.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Better teams arent always better places.
Come a time maybe the better team is the harder place. But better decision.
Goals.

May 2, 2018
Central Virginia
Oh yea I'm that parent, and I tell you..... I got three kids that all received scholarships...2 DI full rides and one DII partial .. I been there seen that....Got the hat, T-shirt, and Shoe Strings.

So I tell a coach up front. I tell you want you are getting.....don't get pissed at me....I told you up front.....you don't want none of this smoke.....

I am the customer .... Its my money and this game is expensive...... The coach saw her talent he knows she is raw ..... She and I are happy with our current team.

If you are going to recruit us away (and its us my money and her talent) ..... I expect her to play. Don't get pissed when I tell you that .... you can't guarantee there are 100 other parents that would love you ... not Me

My bank account says if I am paying and she is putting the work in....and yes she is putting the work in......she plays... if not USAA calls and curses me out..... LOL

If you see yourself as the customer then what you are saying is you pay to play. I’m not sure many would agree with that mindset. You can’t buy playing time. If the roster is 12 and every girl comes to practice and works hard and has your same mindset, how does all 12 play every inning?

As a coach, I appreciate the honesty up front as it would save me a lot of future issues. It would be an easy thanks but no thanks for me. That is what I would call a red flag.

To each their own though. Any team/coach that would allow a parent to dictate playing time is not a team I want my kid on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matt_g