Parents want their DD to pitch during...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Sorry I need to clarfy...the pitchers would pitch separately to just a catcher not pitch BP in anotrher area!! Sorry if that was unclear!

As a father of a U18 catcher, here's where I'm coming from. Outside of team practice, DD practices her catching mechanics, catches pitching lessons, and does catching clinics/lessons, and hits as time allows. In other words, she probably puts in as much time outside of practice as do dedicated pitchers. DD is also a more than adequate corner IF and OF and plays those positions when not catching. Team practice is the time she can work on team fielding and other position skills and hit. Before or after practice is OK, but using team practice time to catch a pitcher who doesn't work on their own is a poor use of her time. I know CoachT's team is U12, but I think the critical issue is that the parents need to be made to understand that their DD needs to be working outside of practice if she really wants to be a pitcher. If you want her to throw during practice, have an adult/coach/parent catch her.

coachtucc

Banned
May 7, 2008
A, A
thanks greenmonsters...my two pitchers pitch on Wednesdays nights w/ a pitching coach and another night when we have gym for an hour. So is that enough?

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
I can tell you now that we are going into a winter league for the next 6 weeks, DD has been pitching an hour to an hour and a half 3 nights a week and an hour on Saturday. Of course, she's obsessed with being able to use her 2 new pitches she learned over Christmas by the start of the Spring tournament season.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
I approach this from a different point of view, and that is from the perspective that you have to develop good catchers, and if you don't find practice time for them, you won't develop them. So pitchers throwing for 15 to 20 minutes in practice is more about the catchers than the pitchers.

GM, I applaud your DD for her dedication and work ethic, but think back to when she was in 12U. How many girls (or boys for that matter!) put that much time into learning to play catcher? From my point of view, practice at the younger age levels should include catchers because good ones don't just fall in your lap. You have to develop them, and team practice time at the younger ages is crucial. I see so many 12U and 14U teams posting messages that they are looking for experienced TB catchers. What ever happened to developing them?!

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I approach this from a different point of view, and that is from the perspective that you have to develop good catchers, and if you don't find practice time for them, you won't develop them. So pitchers throwing for 15 to 20 minutes in practice is more about the catchers than the pitchers.

GM, I applaud your DD for her dedication and work ethic, but think back to when she was in 12U. How many girls (or boys for that matter!) put that much time into learning to play catcher? From my point of view, practice at the younger age levels should include catchers because good ones don't just fall in your lap. You have to develop them, and team practice time at the younger ages is crucial. I see so many 12U and 14U teams posting messages that they are looking for experienced TB catchers. What ever happened to developing them?![/QUOTE]

Based on the mechanics I see, even in the WCWS, I'm not sure that many ever did! It seems they just took one of their strongest athletes and said you're a catcher, do your best and have fun. Its just like pitching, the best ones get that way for a reason - they work on it outside of team practice. With NECC's video, there's really no excuse today.

Apr 1, 2010
For the last couple of weeks, DD does the batting practice part of practice, but has missed some of the fielding work that the non-battery players are doing.

I wish she didn't have to miss out on anything, but I recognize that the laws of physics won't allow it. ;-)

It's probably just as well that the pitchers and catchers have been getting some work in because she's missed the last two optional Sunday night pitching and catching sessions due to other obligations.

She's also doing a non-team related 2-hour general skills clinic with a bunch of baseball players once a week so I hope that will help to make up for the fielding reps she's losing.

IMO, we really need to find the time to fit in some catching lessons; she's been so busy we haven't been able to find the time for them.

Everything should get better once the weather warms up. Time and space is so limited in the indoor facilities!

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
On a separate night, catchers come in 45 minutes before the pitchers to work on skills and drills. While we are finishing catchers, pitchers stretch and warmup together on overhand throwing. Pitchers and catchers work together (pitchers rotate mats to throw to different catchers. Sometimes the 12u catchers have to rotate and catch the 10u pitchers-- excellent opportunity for blocking practice.) for up to an hour.

We have hitting sessions two nights a week -- one of the nights we have early and late sessions. Pitchers and catchers either come an hour early or stay after to pitch.

At team practice, every third practice or so, one station is just for pitchers and catchers to warmup so towards the end of practice we play a live bunting game or do live hitting game in a cage since we are idoors.

If a pitcher wants to come in other times, I make myself available. The pitchers know that if they want to move up in the rotation, they better be putting in the extra time or at least quality time.

And yes we have our own POLE BARN!:cool:

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
I agree Screwball. But, then there are times when I wish that the team coach wasn't "helping" my students. I hear some wild things.

Also, a 12U rec coach had one of my girls throw hitting practice to 12 girls one day - and then she didn't get to bat. Her mother put a stop to that, as soon as she found out.

I know that my DD always got to practice pitching at practices. She also was an OF and 1st baseman.

With a 2 hour practice you could have everyone together for an 1 1/2 and then have the pitchers and catchers work the last 30 minutes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mugs_dad