Parents drinking (Alcohol) at tournaments

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 9, 2009
IL
Has it occurred to anyone that it is NOT OK to drink at a youth athletic event, and then DRIVE those kids home? Driving impaired out of a parking lot where there are ball players and little kids is NOT OK, whether you are a parent, coach, umpire, or otherwise uninvolved adult. If you are at an overnight tournament, what you do in the hotel afterwards is you own business, as long as you don't get back in a car and drive. If any parents are driving with their kids in the car after they've had a few discrete drinks at the field, someone needs to address it before something terrible happens.

Who said they were impaired?

If I had two beers over the course of 8 hours, I know I wouldn't be impaired nor would any other adult I know.

Having said that, I think I should audition to become a parent on a non-drinking team. Over the last 12 months, I've developed an issue where anywhere from 2 to 12 hours after having more than 1 drink, I develop a stiff neck and a massive migrane. Every time I have 2 or more, I have this problem. Never have it when I don't drink.

Now what to do with my stash? It's there and all I can do is look at it in fear. :mad:

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Some of the best times are worn out over-traveled over-spent parents needing to unwind on portable chairs in the hotel parking lot.
In the name of all things good - please don't take that away!!!

But I do draw the line for during the games span of the day. That's my line.

Truer words were never spoken.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I am like a former smoker. I can smell alcohol on you from 10 feet, even if you have only had one beer. After we are done for the day, I don't care what others do.

Bucketmom

Psycho for softball!
Feb 13, 2013
At the fields
And I don't think parents should let their players drink soda during any hours of a tournament but as long as "that parents" kid don't puke on mine It's nine of my business.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
Having said that, I think I should audition to become a parent on a non-drinking team. Over the last 12 months, I've developed an issue where anywhere from 2 to 12 hours after having more than 1 drink, I develop a stiff neck and a massive migrane. Every time I have 2 or more, I have this problem. Never have it when I don't drink.

Now what to do with my stash? It's there and all I can do is look at it in fear. :mad:

I have the exact same issue. More so with beer than I do with the hard stuff. Micro beer is DEFINITELY out! I sure do miss an ice cold one on a hot day. :(

Oct 25, 2009
I never will forget a young rec game we had one evening after attending a farewell for an employee at a local restaurant. I was at 3rd, one of our players hits a triple. She's all excited when she gets to 3rd, of course, and I was saying "Great job! Great job!" All of a sudden she freezes, looks at me, and very loudly says "YOU'VE BEEN DRINKING!" A little embarrassing, to say the least.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Some of the best times are worn out over-traveled over-spent parents needing to unwind on portable chairs in the hotel parking lot.

In the name of all things good - please don't take that away!!!

Our "coaches meetings" at the hotel after a long day at the ballpark have become infamous....just about every parent on the team shows up and a good time is had by all....

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
Afterwards at dinner or at the hotel...Who cares. However during an event on the grounds (and the parking lot is "on the grounds")..NO...We have a team rule clarifying expectations on this. Sadly, b/c some cannot handle their alcohol consumption we hold a zero tolerance policy at events/practices. If you do not like it you are welcome to play elsewhere. I an in the business and do enjoy a good vodka tonic however at a kids sporting event it not the time or place.

Apr 29, 2013
Our "coaches meetings" at the hotel after a long day at the ballpark have become infamous....just about every parent on the team shows up and a good time is had by all....

I agree that it's fine during after hours, at the hotel or wherever. The only problem I have is that our coaches and their wives and their closest friends get rip-roaring drunk. The girls see this, and I know for a fact it makes a lot of them uncomfortable. I don't particularly want my daughter around drunk adults. But they hold these "open door" parties in their hotel rooms, with all the noise you might expect. The girls are out and about in the hotel and they know their coaches are drunk off their asses. I don't like this aspect of it, personally. I think it's irresponsible to come to the games the next day with a hangover.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32