Parents drinking (Alcohol) at tournaments

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 15, 2013
I have noticed some of our parents drinking beer, and even mixed drinks during our downtime at tournaments. I really hadn't given it much thought, because they are doing it away from the ball fields. I don't agree with it at all. The issue I have noticed recently, is that some of them are taking it a step further. I have noticed some of the parents pouring the drinks into paper cups, and sneaking it into the complex. My first thought is "REALLY?", but I am unsure how to handle it. I feel it is extremely innapropriate, but what do I do about it?

Also, If anyone feels that I am overreacting please let me know. I don't think I am, at all!

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Personally I'm a big fan of Alcohol. But I'd prefer it be saved until after the last game of the day for our team is over.

I wouldn't have a problem with some alcohol being consumed between games by parents off premises provided those parents didn't get to be (explicative deleted) when they consumed.

I would have a big problem with the paper cup issue that you are describing going on inside the tournament.

Jun 14, 2011
Field of Dreams
WHile there have been many times that I could have used a martini at a tournament, especially in the early days of DDs pitching, I saved that for my own time. I would agree with you that having alcohol at a tournament is not a good idea, in terms of spectator behavior if the person is over-served, in terms of driving, in terms of an example to the kids, etc. that is just my opinion- and of the things I have seen at tournaments- this I one that I have not. If the offender was a parent on DDs team, I would voice my concern to the coach and ask her/him to handle it. If it was a random person, I would consider finding the tournament director and pointing out a spectator who was bringing alcohol into the venue and let them intervene.

I would also be sure to sit as far away from that person as possible, in the likely event of increased volatility.

Apr 29, 2013
A good number of the parents and coaches of my daughter's team come to our early morning games hung over from the night before in the hotel.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Bringing booze to a game is wrong. I would mention it to the parents that alcochol is not allowed at the field. There is always a chance that someone will drink too much and create an awful situation for everyone.

But, there are limits. You are a coach, not a social worker. You can't control what they do away from the softball field, and you shouldn't try. But, you can and should control your little section of the universe (the softball field).

Apr 13, 2013
This has never been an Issue for us but I have seen some parents come to the game that I hoped they did not drive. As long as they are not causing an Issue I do not care if they have a few cocktails during the game.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
This should have been addressed, prior to the parents signing on. You can't stop them from drinking, at a restaurant, but at the field is crazy.

I always suspect that the parents and grandparents that I see, that get out of hand, are using some sort of substance.

The move to lower blood alcohol levels to .05, would put a lot of people in danger of being over the limit.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
A good number of the parents and coaches of my daughter's team come to our early morning games hung over from the night before in the hotel.

Hungover people tend not to be loud and belligerent ;)

I enjoy drinking, but there's a place for it, and the ballpark at a kid's game is not the place.

May 25, 2010
If people are peacefully minding their own business - even if they're violating a field or event policy - then I'm minding mine. What they're doing may be a civil offense in many communities, but until it's a problem, I don't see a need to turn it into a police matter.

Some people follow rules, some people skirt the rules, but if they're not being disruptive, the simple act of them bringing alcohol into an alcohol-free venue is not going to ruin my day or disturb me in the least, nor am I going to devote any time looking for someone to tattle to. Usually the people I see causing the most trouble at ballparks are stone sober, while the ones who are drinking a bit tend to be a bit more relaxed.

In general, though, I'm better at minding my own business than most people.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
There's drinking going on at the ballpark? I'm shocked, shocked to find that drinking is going on in here!

DD has been on teams that bring their beer, sangria, gin and tonics and discreetly consume. For the most part it was usually ok until the end of the season when the parents internal complaints start becoming vocal.

So, sing it with me, "...Red Solo cup I fill you up...."

Personally I think it's a bad idea at the field and generally tend to skip the drunken hotel bar whine fests with the rest of the parents preferring to have my adult beverage in the room. DD enjoys her current team a lot so I try to enjoy the other parents by sitting away from them.

If you think the drinking is an issue and you are concerned that it could escalate you should send out a memo reminding them that there are parks that do not allow drinking and since the coach would be held responsible for the behavior of your parents you'd like them to observe any ordinances.

There is a reputation associated with your team name and it's up to all to keep it untarnished. Of course unless you prefer to be known as, "that team."

"...I love you red solo cup..."

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00