Parents Callig Pitches from Stands

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
It is important for the pitcher AND the catcher to both know the pitch call. Therefore, I would think that a parent calling in pitches to their DD would cause more harm than good. Not to mention that our SS and 2nd signal the pitch to the outfield. If the catcher is signaling outside change up and the pitcher throws an inside screwball, bad things are going to happen!!!!

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
If it must be this way, there's a simple method for a P to call a game and still have the C and other fielders on board knowing what pitch is going to be thrown. The catcher gives a sign and the P nods agreement or wipes her glove up or down one or more times to cycle and increase/decrease the given sign by 1 for each wipe. Examples: catcher flashes 1 (say FB), P shakes head "NO" and a) wipes the glove up once for 1+1 = 2 (say CB) or b) wipes up twice for 1+2 = 3 (say CU) or c) wipes down for a 1-1 = 5 (say rise) or d) wipes down twice for 1-2 = 4 (say gyroball) etc.

To The Kid1The Only Person!Most

You must be kidding about the catcher should be calling the pitches.Does she know the hitters and all the situations like a coach or assistant coach?
The only person who should be calling pitches is the catcher. Period. Not the coach and definitely not the parent.

I know a parent here does it and it drives me crazy. Except last week he stood in my line of vision while I was in the box. I knew his signals (as I've had LOOOOONG discussions with him over it and why it's bad) Change up was put on. Hit a three bagger. Yelled 'Thanks dad!' ;-p

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
You must be kidding about the catcher should be calling the pitches.Does she know the hitters and all the situations like a coach or assistant coach?

There are detailed discussions of this topic that can be found using this web site's search function for "pitch calling".

For the record, I'm not aware that its mandatory for a coach to have any pitch calling knowledge or experience before they proclaim themselves expert at it and have such keen eyesight that they can accurately read the pitcher, batter, and umpire from a vantage point at a bad angle, behind a fence at least 30+ feet away.

Jul 26, 2010

This is the most ignorant post I've seen in a long time.

I'm guessing you're an assistant coach (IE certified bucket carrier). You probably drive a big truck. Use search.

-W

Mar 13, 2010

Yes. If she doesn't then you as the coach or assistant coach are failing at your job. Which is to teach the girls how to play the game THEMSELVES.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
In college and even more in MLB, yes 80% of the calls are coming from the catcher. Intentional walks, last minute strategy changes are called from the dugout.

BUT they are reviewing hours of video footage and hour(s) of pregame calls for each batter behind the scenes. So in essence, the catcher is physically calling the game but has been instructed by a higher power as to what to call. And the pitcher has the option to shake it off. ( which people in FP don't like )

Jun 23, 2011
NC
Personally I love it when a parent or anyone from the stands call pitches its much easier to pick them up as an offensive coach.