Parents Callig Pitches from Stands

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 3, 2010
What are the generla rules against a parent calling pitches from the stands in travel ball and highschool ball?

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
On TB, if I catch a parent calling pitches I will pull that pitcher immediately and she/they have 2 options. She will sit the bench the rest of the weekend, or they can pack their crap and go home. I have only had this happen twice in many years. I don't mind if a parent ( younger years ) came over to the dugout to adjust her ( stance / release / mechanics ) but not while she is on the rubber.

In HS we had a dad calling pitches from the stands. Coach met him after the game and gave him a pretty good a$$ chewing. His DD was also suspended from 3 games.

Coaches usually don't mind input, but not during a game at all unless they come to you with a question.

Aug 2, 2008
If someone thinks the coach is that bad then move teams.

I watched a HS dad do this a couple of years ago, it took me about 1/2 an inning to pick up on it. ( i was just a spectator)

It was rather obvious.

Aug 31, 2011
Jawja
In our little league it is against the rules, but I can't quite remember what the punishment is. I believe the parent is asked to leave the park.

In TB, I think the only rule is what the coach imposes. I've never even thought of doing such a thing, if I didn't trust the coach, she wouldn't be playing with them.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
A parent trying to "play the game" instead of his DD. Pathetic.

Another helicopter parent. I guess he goes to the bathroom with her and to make sure she uses the right amount of toilet paper.

My DD#3 was playing in a HS tennis double match, and the parents on the other team were telling their what to hit (overhead, backhand, forehand, volley, etc.) for every shot.

Oct 5, 2011
Sterling IL
A parent trying to "play the game" instead of his DD. Pathetic.

Another helicopter parent. I guess he goes to the bathroom with her and to make sure she uses the right amount of toilet paper.

My DD#3 was playing in a HS tennis double match, and the parents on the other team were telling their what to hit (overhead, backhand, forehand, volley, etc.) for every shot.

I think its somewhere inthe rules that coaching has to take place from the dugout or field, calling pitches is coaching in my book. Not sure the penalty for it though.

Jun 18, 2010
I think its somewhere inthe rules that coaching has to take place from the dugout or field, calling pitches is coaching in my book. Not sure the penalty for it though.

USSSA
RULE 11. SPORTSMANSHIP
Sec 2. A coach, player, substitute, attendant or other bench personnel shall not:
I. Be outside the designated dugout/bench or bullpen areas unless they are a
batter, runner, on deck batter, in the coach’s box or one of the nine
players on defense.

ASA
Section 12. DUGOUT CONDUCT
Coaches, players, substitutes, or other bench personnel shall not be outside
the designated bench dugout area except when the rule allows or justified by
the umpire.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2010
Florida
Ok, I was guilty of this in LL with my DD. The coach had no issue, in fact she encouraged it. My DD would get an idea for her pitch and flash me a sign. 99% of the time, I would just shake my head yes. With the help of Sluggers and the rest of tis board, I was able to fix my poor behaviors. I now realize I should have just let her have fun. On her current TB team, I cheer for her, allow her to be upset if she makes a mistake, and take notes of things we are going to work on. I am also the first one to give give her a hug after the game. I can't say it is not stressful, but at least the other parents aren't laughing at me. BTW, a pitcher can take a sign from anywhere. She just needs to pause on the mound and give the appearance of taking from the catcher. Not that I would ever give her a sign again. That is what practice is for.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole