Parents Callig Pitches from Stands

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 13, 2010
I am just trying to understand why you would punish a player for the behavior of a parent ?

Because a player knows they have a coach. I would have no hesitation in dragging a player who is listening to their parent over the coach. If a parent wants to coach, coach. Don't try and override the coach. (coach)

The player I'm refering to got dragged a couple of years ago at a tournament because she was ignoring the catcher's calls. She was getting slammed. When the coaches figured out what was happening they pulled her mid inning. (something I normally disagree with, but in this situation the point had to be made) After the game they sat down with the parent and child and explained why she was pulled and why she would continue to be pulled.

Parents need to respect the coaches. By calling pitches from the stands they are not.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I am just trying to understand why you would punish a player for the behavior of a parent ?

Is it fair? Not always. Unfortunately, with some people that is the only way to get their attention.

If the "parent" is that good, s/he should be coaching, but my guess/bet would be that this "parent" doesn't have the time or want to be bothered with anyone other than DD.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Quincy why is your daughter so much smarter than all the other children out thee? What makes her that much better to call the pitches than the catcher who is the same age?

If I implied that I apologize, I know it is not true.

You are coming at it from a coaches perspective, I am coming at it from a parent’s perspective. As a parent I have no control what 4 or 5 catchers know or do not know. If the Manager wants to teach the Cs to call the game great, if the Manager wants to call the game OK. If neither happens it is down the Parent in the stands or the P to call the game.

“Nature abhors a vacuum.”

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2011
I have been following this thread because DD is entering the year being able to hit her spots with her FB and what appears to be an OK CU. Do not know who her Manager is going to be, nor who will be her Teammates. If past history is indication she is going to have 4 or 5 catchers, this is a Rec. League.

I have an open mind with the Manager but do not confidence in all the Cs being able to start calling a game. Back to the Parent calling Pitches, I know my DD has a lot better time if I keep my mouth shut. Her older friend across the streets father calls the pitches for his DD when she pitches, from the stands. She was the best pitcher in our League and everyone seemed OK with it. :)

Parents on my 10u teams (rec and TB) don't even think about coaching from the sidelines. The input is neither necessary nor welcome. Not every coach agrees with me, especially for rec, but while the rec atmosphere is more relaxed than the travel season, that's one door I won't open at all.

If you wish to have a conversation with your daughter during a game, she's welcome to join you in the bleachers. Or better yet, submit your background check form and get out onto the field.

Mar 13, 2010
The problem with your approach Quincy is that you and your daughter will get a reputation for it. If coaches hear of a father who is calling pitches from the stand that pitcher better be the best pitcher for her age group because the hassle is not worth it. You don't want to be thought of as a crazy daddy.

Aug 10, 2010
I think a lot of this banter is comparing apples to oranges. You do in fact have different situations where even although you or I may not approve of it, it may be best for a parent to call from the stands. I would say that this would have to be in the younger age groups though, and again, I stand on my previous post that the catcher must know what is being called and preferably, be giving the signs. You will find that the majority of really good pitchers have strong support from a parent, most likely their father. I have seen a lot of talent wasted when there is not a father(or mother at times) in the pitchers life who works with them above and beyond practices. My daughter is a senior this year and I helped coach most of her local travel teams since she was 11, and until about two years ago, It was definitely best for her or even the catcher NOT to be calling the pitches. I see it as a maturity thing and learning experience, which also relies on the maturity and skills of the catcher. After each game, my daughter and I talk about what pitches were called in what situation and where a different pitch may have worked better and more importantly, when a pitch worked. Now, as she is preparing for college ball with her last year of high school, she is beginning to "help" call her own game. By this I mean calling off some signs, which believe it or not, can play on the mind of the batter.
I am done rambling I think...Just my thoughts and how I have approached this topic.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
If I implied that I apologize, I know it is not true.

You are coming at it from a coaches perspective, I am coming at it from a parent’s perspective. As a parent I have no control what 4 or 5 catchers know or do not know. If the Manager wants to teach the Cs to call the game great, if the Manager wants to call the game OK. If neither happens it is down the Parent in the stands or the P to call the game.

“Nature abhors a vacuum.”

I have to disagree with a parent calling pitches from the stands because nobody else is. If you are inside the fences, you are a participant, and welcome to call pitches. If you are outside the fences, you are a spectator, and by definition, you get to watch and enjoy the game, not participate.

If nobody is telling the pitcher what pitches to throw, is she so dependent on dad that she can't figure it out? In a 10U game?! I hope not. Otherwise you are setting her up for failure in the future.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I have to disagree with a parent calling pitches from the stands because nobody else is. If you are inside the fences, you are a participant, and welcome to call pitches. If you are outside the fences, you are a spectator, and by definition, you get to watch and enjoy the game, not participate.

If nobody is telling the pitcher what pitches to throw, is she so dependent on dad that she can't figure it out? In a 10U game?! I hope not. Otherwise you are setting her up for failure in the future.

I agree. What started me getting pounced on was I said P would be calling her own pitches/ game.

Mar 13, 2010
I agree. What started me getting pounced on was I said P would be calling her own pitches/ game.

You're not being pounced on, people are disagreeing with you.

Pitches should not be calling the pitches. Catcher should be. Catcher is giving the signals so the entire infield can see them (and thus pass them onto the outfield) Pitcher should know why they're being called and when to shake them off but not actually call them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole