Parent pitchers question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
I can't really get my head around FIP. My DD gives up a fair share of HRs. Not many, but they happen. I tell her just keep them to solo shots and you're fine. Message really is to keep runners off base, no walks, etc. I don't want a solo shot to destroy her confidence.

The formula is just kind of bonkers (to me):

(13*HR+3*(HBP+BB)-2*K)/IP
The weights used (13,3 and -2) are relative to how those actions play into run prevention and are related to Run expectancy charts.

The actual FIP number you get from that particular formula means very little as the weights are based upon Run Expectancy and League totals from MLB (there is also a constant in the formula which makes it look like ERA so that you won't typically get a negative number). Just use it for comparison purposes.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2023
Yeah, I get that it's isolating just the pitcher parts. But why are HR multiplied by 13 and walks by 3. Maybe if HR was 12 (one run scores) and walks are 3 (4 walks makes one run score). I dunno. Just seems odd.

And then when I see that it's 2.3, well what does that mean? Like you said, need to know what to compare it to.

ERA at least I have a concept. Averaging 5 runs per game is not good. ERA of 1 is good.

it's based on (probably the MLB baseball) value of those respective events. so a HR obviously much more damaging than a walk. I think it was intended to be similar to ERA in scale, so like a 3.5 FIP and a 4.5 ERA means the pitcher was getting slightly unlucky and the defense wasn't making as many plays. ERA-FIP so to speak.

That's just the tip of the iceberg too, the difference between a HR, a double off the wall, and a fly out are often very small (just a few feet to the right and the wall comes in a bunch and it's a HR) few feet to the left and it's a fly out because it's deep center) so you can take it further with xFIP and try to normalize home runs.

It's probably best to eyeball some of this. Hard contact is bad.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I keep track of ER and runs allowed. I also like to see how many runs are scored after an error is committed. I have two issues with ERA: the pitcher can make an error, and it still goes as an unearned run. The other is that an error committed on the first batter makes every run after that point unearned. That being said, I can still grasp the concept much easier than FIP.

I have discussions with my daughter when she allows four runs after an error. They are unearned runs, but she could have done a better job picking up her teammates. I don't need a stat to see that.

Oct 4, 2018
Yeah, we've all seen a pitcher get lit up. Laser to the gaps. I suppose a pitcher could do that and have a negative FIP. Certainly doesn't mean the pitcher did well. Of course we look at many stats collectively and lots can be hidden in just a single stat.

Apr 14, 2022
I would not put much stock in FIP outside of mlb.
For softball I imagine hhb% by pitcher, home runs per at bat, umpiring, and difference in opponents are too great.
Even K/ inning is only good if whip is fairly consistent.

May 27, 2013
I would not put much stock in FIP outside of mlb.
For softball I imagine hhb% by pitcher, home runs per at bat, umpiring, and difference in opponents are too great.
Even K/ inning is only good if whip is fairly consistent.
I still think it is helpful if you compare it to ERA.

Apr 14, 2022
I still think it is helpful if you compare it to ERA.
You have to recalculate your constant for your league.

May 27, 2013
You have to recalculate your constant for your league.

Lol - I just went by the number GC churned out.

May 27, 2013

Article from 2017 which shows NCAA FIP numbers for a few well-know pitchers back then. Not sure what constant they used.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkhill45