Palm guard

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Is a palm guard glove, or anything similiar worth the money for a young catcher?

Sep 3, 2009
My dd used one for a while when she first started catching. As she got better, and stopped 'palming' the ball, she didn't wear it as much, and doesn't really at all any more. She likes wearing a glove though, batting glove, as she found a side benefit that it helps keep the mitt from moving around too much when her hand gets sweaty.

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
They need to catch the ball in the pocket of the catcher's mitt. Throw tennis balls to them and without a mitt to work on catching the ball with their thumb down. It works!!!;)

Also relaxing the "catching hand" when the pitcher begins her motion helps. Have the catcher let the glove go down (wave down) and then up when the pitcher releases.

Jan 15, 2009
They need to catch the ball in the pocket of the catcher's mitt. Throw tennis balls to them and without a mitt to work on catching the ball with their thumb down. It works!!!;)

Also relaxing the "catching hand" when the pitcher begins her motion helps. Have the catcher let the glove go down (wave down) and then up when the pitcher releases.

Actually my daugther does relax her hand pre pitch, had to discuss with some coaches to allow her to do so as that is the instruction she got at college clinics, but not what the standard target they were used to. If you have a pitcher throwing real heat with movement, especially pitches that break inside, your going to catch a few out of the pocket. She caught 28 innings in 2 days for her HS and is tenative about asking for a break because she feels that may mean getting benched. If a little extra padding helps take the sting out of the occasional pitch caught out of the pocket, thank god for Palmguard.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I got one for her last Wednesday, and she really likes it. Found out almost every HS boy and girl catching locally plus alot of college catchers still use them.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish